I know I sound like a broken record....but this last month REALLY flew!! The girls are already 13 months and it feels like we JUST celebrated their 1st birthday - like yesterday.
As I sit down to write this post....the girls are literally at my feet. One on each side of the chair peeking at each other. Ms. R lets out a scream......Ms. K lets out a scream. Scream, scream, scream!! This is their new thing. They love to scream and mimic each other. I will admit it gets a little wearing on my ears at times!
I have to say without any hesitation that this has truly been an exciting month with the girls. I love their sense of adventure. Everything is new and they are learning so much everyday. They are exploring their little world and trying to take it all in. With Ms. R being completely mobile and Ms. K very close - they have more freedom to move about the house. This makes life very busy for us, but I have enjoyed sitting back and just watching them discover their surroundings. Like any kids - they are always fascinated with what we would consider ordinary things. They love an empty water bottle, the tupperware cupboard, an empty envelope and the list goes on. They also love their toys, but it's the unexpected things they come upon that really grab their attention.
The hubs and I absolutely love to hang out with the girls at night and watch them play and learn. I feel like we already have some of the best memories just sitting in the living room giggling at all the funny things they do and say. Their little voices are priceless. I wish I could bottle their sweet voices and keep them forever. Because - it would always make me smile. They aren't saying too many recognizable words, but it doesn't matter. They have their own little language and we love it. And - they seem to conversate between each other too. They do a lot of talking back and forth. It is so fun to listen to.
When they aren't teething they seem to be pretty good eaters these days. They don't always love what I give them on the first attempt, but food seems to grow on them. They've started to eat more fruit - grapes, apples, cantaloupe and raisins. They've eaten quite a bit of ground turkey lately - meatloaf and burgers. They've started to eat potatoes more often and they both willingly eat green beans, now. They also seem to really like homemade pizza! Of course they still love cheese and bread and their favorite food of all time is still bananas! I have been making more "meals" lately, too. I can't say I've met my 4 meals/week goal, but I would say I make at least 2 meals each week and they enjoy the leftovers. Room for improvement, but at least I'm trying!!
Their favorite new activity from this past month would have to be looking out the window. We have several windows right at their level and they looooooove to look outside. They especially like to watch Hank (our pup) and the neighbor dogs play. Their favorite is when the windows are open because they can feel the breeze coming in. It has been such a fun pastime for them (and mama, too)!
The biggest challenge of the month has been when the girls need a diaper change and need to be dressed. I take several deep breaths throughout the day when I am changing them. They absolutely HATE this time of day. And - they let me know with screams and cries and kicks and squirms. It is very, very challenging and of course .. it's times TWO for this twin mama. I have tried every trick that I can think of to distract them, but they catch on quickly and then want nothing to do with mama's little distraction techniques. I ask myself daily how long this will last?? I'm told by others that it will get better...but when?? I then try to remind myself .... wishing away stages is not how I want to live. I know when this stage is behind us we will embark on a new challenging one. I don't want to wish away one moment with the girls.....
I have also discovered I need to get back to taking more pictures of them. It is so easy to let a day ... a week slip by without taking pictures. I want more documentation of this amazing journey. So - that is a new goal for me in this next month!!
I always wondered how life would feel after the girls turned one. And, I guess if I had to sum it up into one little word I would say - life feels really FULL! Full of wonder....full of excitement...full of change....and full of blessings that our girls are happy and healthy. Who could possibly ask for more?
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
I love watching your baby girls grow, and learn! It's brings me back to when mine were little, and I just sit back and remember those times. :) The changing thing will get better. I remember those days, but I always just distracted mine with stuff. Toys, diaper cream to mess with (not the cream but you know what I mean, lol) just anything to distract them!
ReplyDeleteHope you have a great weekend. :) Enjoy the game Sunday night!