We needed some fall decor to spruce up the front porch!
Sounds like fun on a warm fall day, doesn't it??
Last year at this time -- when the girls were a mere 3 weeks old -- I remember talking about how fun it would be THIS year to take them on some fun fall outings!!
So...yesterday .. we packed up and headed out to a pumpkin patch that promised oodles of pumpkins to choose from, a petting zoo, photo booth, corn maze and hayrides. And, a bonus - it's less that 5 miles from our home!
Sounded GREAT!!
As we headed out we laughed at how unbelievably warm it was. As in 86 degrees on October 9th. We hated to admit it - but it almost felt TOO warm. Scoff....I know!!
I suppose I could continue writing about our fun-filled, amazing family day, but who am I kidding?? A pumpkin patch with two semi-mobile one year old babes on a steamy hot day?? Unfortunately, not quite the experience we had in mind.
Upon arrival -- we unloaded the girls from the truck and then reloaded them into the stroller.
Hello mistake #1.
You see -- the girls
On we go.
We head over to the "petting zoo" to find this young fella!
One lonely goat standing on top of a wooden box. It reminded us of our pup, Hank, protesting being caged.
And...not to leave out Mr. Cow.
End of said "petting zoo".
On we go.
Girls still fussing....as in GET US OUT OF THIS STROLLER NOW!!!
We then move along to look at pumpkins.
There was quite a selection - picked and ready to go!
Perhaps we should have just plucked a few of those and called it good....
...But - heck no --- we are here to pick our OWN pumpkins!
(Side note: Notice daddy's very large energy drink due to 2 hours of sleep while oncall the night before - always makes for a little added "no sleep stress")...
Anyway...we venture out into the VERY BUMPY patch.
Girls still fussing....
Mom and Dad still DETERMINED!!
Meanwhile.... while I am snapping the much anticipated "pumpkin patch photos" the hubs and I are cracking up because we realize this is all for US.
The babes are quite obviously hating this whole experience.
They are confined, hot and the sun is in their eyes. What could possibly be the matter, girls??
But - we continue on....for more photo opps...of our lovely family day...
Until we found just the right pumpkins!
Wait??? Where's the photo booth?? How about the hayride??
Oh -- ya.....that stuff isn't going on "right now"...
Probably was a good thing ..... considering 20 minutes into our "1st and fabulous pumpkin patch experience" it was time to pack it up and head home.
The girls each picked out a little gourd to play with --- lasting all of ........ oh ...... 30 seconds!
So much for a little distraction while we payed for our wonderful pumpkins!!
And then it was back into the car seats...
Let's just say -- I'll leave the rest of the drive home up to your imagination!!
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
Too cute!!
ReplyDeleteWe took the girls to the pumpkin patch last year, when they were about 9 1/2 months old. They didn't fuss, but they didn't care one way or the other. The real adventure came in that being the first and only time we tried to load our BOB stroller (just like yours) in our mid-size SUV. Hubby got it in and out OK the first time, but he couldn't get it packed back in when we were leaving the orchard. I got in the back seat to try to pull, as he pushed, and it jumped...I seriously thought my nose was broken! (And I think my nose leans a little to one side to this day! :) )
ReplyDeleteThis year, with the girls being 21 months old, I'm thrilled to report that they really enjoyed the trip to the pumpkin patch. Even though it was HOT here, too, they loved all the sights and sounds...AND sharing Mommy's apple cider slushie!
So just keep holding out hope that NEXT YEAR will be that "magical" experience you're looking for! :) :)
Oh, I remember the first time we took our girls to the pumpkin patch - it was dusty, hot, and smelly (thanks to the horses). We did not even buy a pumpkin - we settled for one from the grocery store : )
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures though!
Isn't it funny how you try so hard to plan a fun day for the whole family but the girls just decide they're not into it? I've learned to not have too high of expectations. We didn't try the pumpkin patch last year, but this year was A LOT more fun. I bet next year your girls will be all over it!
ReplyDeleteSuper cute shirts too! :) Got to love Target! :)
Haha, that was a great post. I was hoping that was a beer in your hubbys hand, oh so much for fun! ;) (J/K)
ReplyDeleteThe first time we went the the pumpkin farm, it was "ok" but nothing to jump for joy about....we didn't take them the first year (I knew better) and last year was average. We were going to go yesterday but it was 85 here, and I can't do a pumpkin farm when its hot out. It's just not right!! :)