Friday, December 30, 2011

Phase 2

Well ... here we are --- back on the West Coast ... starting what I'm calling "PHASE 2" of our year away.

We somehow managed to survive yet another plane ride -- and although it was less than what I would consider fun -- we now only have ONE trip remaining until we move back home - for good!  After our final flight home this summer -- we will have logged SIX plan rides with the girls in less than one year!! This is a time I will never forget.  It's taught me patience beyond what I thought I had in my soul.

We took an earlier flight yesterday (than we normally do) because it was all that was available.  Getting up and to the airport by 7am was exhausting and the girls were not in line for their typical nap -- so they refused to sleep on the plane.  I can't deny those 4 hours seemed like forever and ever ... and when I thought we must be less than minutes from landing -- the hubs informed me we had at least an hour left. OMG!

But -- as you can see -- we made it!! Here is a glimpse at two exhausted little ladies after our flight!
Getting out of the airport was a comedy routine in itself ... but again -- success, and, definitely something to look back on with a feeling of accomplishment.  I am so grateful the hubs does not get flustered in these situations!! Traveling with 4 pieces of luggage, 2 car seats, a double stroller and 2 toddlers who want NOTHING to do with being in the stroller is really quite interesting! Here is daddy -- just as we are heading to the car.  I just had to capture it!!
And then as we drove back into the city .... somehow we both felt a sense of "normal" creeping back in.  Things seemed very familiar -- our neighborhood welcoming -- and interestingly -- a feeling of peace.  Being back at home over the holidays felt so great -- but truthfully this is our normal right now.  It's what the girls know ... it's what they expect.  As we pulled into our town home ... Ms. K proudly announced ... "home".  Felt a little bittersweet, but reminded us that, yes, this is our home right now and we need to embrace "phase 2".

Within these next six months we are going to see change in our little family.  And -- I couldn't help but shed tears as we left our home in Minnesota yesterday -- realizing that this was, indeed, our last time together at home as a mommy, daddy and their twin girls.  When we get back -- we will have another member of our family with us.  So very exciting yet brings a sense of anxiety, too.

I have absolutely no doubt this addition will be AMAZING -- but I think all fellow parents will agree -- there is always great emotion that comes along with letting go of certain phases and stages in life....and especially when it comes to raising children.  We've been such a little foursome these past two years ... and moving forward we will learn to become a five some with the same great pride .... God has been so good to us!

So ... today -- as the hubs returned to work and the girls and I are hanging out at home -- I'm trying to cherish this time ... which in my state of crazy emotion can be a challenge, but I am really, really trying.

Over the holiday we learned the hubs has passed all his board exams (praise God!!) ... freeing up his evenings to be with us instead of having to study each night.  That black cloud has been lifted and now we are focused on "baby #3" -- preparing ourselves and the girls to the best of our ability.  In just 2 short months -- our life will change yet again -- in a beautiful way .... and this phase is all about preparing for our new little miracle .... and we anxiously await whomever that may be!!

God bless YOU in 2012 ... and whatever new "phase" of life you are embracing -- because the reality is ... we are ALL going through phases in life -- all of them challenging, amazing and every darn thing in-between.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! It's what we do best, flying with twins. Wait, best? Maybe not. Either way, happy new year, we're in the same boat with you!

    ReplyDelete