We are ALREADY into our 30th week!! I haven't been in to visit with my OB since week 25 so I am anxious for my appointment next week when I will be just shy of 31 weeks! Where has the time gone?? I've always heard 2nd pregnancies go faster than the first and that is the darn tootin' truth!
On to the update...!
Gestation: 30w/1d
Gender: Oh the fun we had discussing the "unknown gender" with family over the holiday. Everyone seems to have an opinion. I even had someone try to trick me into lying down so they could perform one of those gender quizzes on me. I did not fall for it!! Overwhelmingly, people seem to think this little being inside me is a BOY ... but like before it still remains a mystery to us! I think it's time to get a baby pool going. Stay tuned!
Baby's growth: (Lots of information this week!)
For several months, the umbilical cord has been the baby's lifeline to the mother. Nourishment is transferred from the mothers blood, through the placenta, and into the umbilical cord to the fetus. Their bone marrow is now responsible for red cell production. These red blood cells will continue to service your child's body by transporting oxygen and removing the wastes. Your baby begins storing iron, calcium and phosphorus.The fetus now weighs about 3 pounds (1.4kg). He or she will gain about half a pound a week until week 38. Baby is getting fatter and beginning to control its own body temperature. Baby continues to put on fat stores and the major weight gains will occur in the coming weeks. Eyebrows and eyelashes are fully developed, and hair on the head is getting thicker. Head and body are now proportioned like a newborn. Hands are now fully formed and fingernails are growing. Can be seen on ultrasound scans grasping their other hand or feet, this is helping with nerve development. Eyelids are opening and closing, and will often make rapid eye movements - a sign they could be dreaming. You may be starting to experience some swelling of your ankles and legs. If you have not experienced any swelling yet, it is highly probable that you will, as approximately 40 to 75 percent of women will experience mild swelling related to pregnancy. |
Mama's growth: Over the past few weeks at home -- I definitely noticed my shirts around my tummy growing tighter -- meaning I've grown since the last post. Because the girls were so sick -- my appetite wasn't as great as normal .. which probably wasn't so bad with all the xmas treats around .. but my tummy definitely grew. And, I have no doubt that will continue as the baby is estimated to grow half a pound each week over the next 8 weeks!
Cravings: Well -- since you asked!! In my previous pregnancy .... I had the strange craving of the smell of cleaning supplies, dirt, rubber, gasoline, the smell of HOME DEPOT ... etc! Sounds strange, I know. But this is real. Google it if you don't believe me. Anyway ..... I hadn't had that craving at all this time ... until like a week or two ago. It's back with a vengeance ... and what it usually means is I have an iron deficiency. It's not harmful -- unless you ingest these things ... which I promise .. I won't be doing!! But I do love smelling them. There was a gift at Christmas that was made of rubber ... and I could not get my nose out of the bag. SO SILLY! Unfortunately I don't have easy access to the home improvement stores like I did last time. That is a quick fix!
Struggles: I guess I have to say our struggles included the girls being so sick and just not getting enough sleep. Pregnancy naturally brings sleeplessness...but this was a whole new level!! The illnesses prevented us from being able to visit with as many people as we would have liked -- so that was a bummer too!
Favorite happening of the week(s): As much as the last few weeks were full of struggles ... being around family was food for the soul! And now -- as we get back to normal ... I feel happy because it means we are working on the 2nd half of our year away - which will ultimately lead us back to home sweet home!
Til next week!
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
For several months, the umbilical cord has been the baby's lifeline to the mother. Nourishment is transferred from the mothers blood, through the placenta, and into the umbilical cord to the fetus. Their bone marrow is now responsible for red cell production. These red blood cells will continue to service your child's body by transporting oxygen and removing the wastes. Your baby begins storing iron, calcium and phosphorus.
No comments:
Post a Comment