I may be the most conflicted person when it comes to potty training.
One minute -- I'm eager to get it going .... while the next I want absolutely nothing to do with it.
Several months ago -- we bought potty chairs -- and just kind of put them out for the girls to explore. At that point - they pretty much had zero interest.....this was shortly after they turned 2.
The potty chairs were used for toy collection -- or for standing on to reach something that was suppose to be out of reach.
At that point we put them in their bathroom and locked the door. Out of their immediate reach -- encouraging them to use them before baths only. This didn't really catch on either.
Over time ... the girls have demonstrated many signs they are interested in saying "bye bye" to diapers. They are very aware of a wet diaper now and that it feels uncomfy. If we are just hanging out at home - they often strip down and walk around without a diaper or pants. And when they have the urge to go potty they dash to get a diaper and bring it to us asking for help. But -- after they go potty -- they immediately want to rip off their diaper again. Talk about a colossal WASTE of diapers. Ugh.
To me - they clearly have learned the sensation of having to go potty.
After we got back from Christmas vaca -- we brought a potty chair upstairs again. For the first day .. nothing too spectacular.
But - 2 days ago ... as I was busy in the kitchen (and the kids were running around sans diapers) I see Ms. K rush over to the potty chair -- sit down and peeeeeeee!!
This was 100% unprompted.
We cheered, danced and she had the "privilege" of flushing the toilet. She was all smiles.
Ms. R looked on with curiosity -- but wasn't interested in following suit. Which is interesting being she was the one who prior to this has used the potty chair a few times and Ms. K hadn't.
Yesterday I randomly suggested using the potty chair to both of them - but no interest.... so I was thinking maybe it was just a random fluke with Ms. K.
But today -- as I was again busy in the kitchen ... the girls scurried away downstairs (where they is another potty chair). A little while later I hear a noise that sounded like someone dumping water into the toilet. My eyebrows raise and I rush to check it out.
What do I find??
Both girls in the bathroom.... Ms. K beaming from (again) going potty ... and Ms. R proudly dumping the contents of the bucket into the toilet.
What great teamwork!! And .. Ms. R had carried it up two flights of stairs.
Impressive!
So ... I'm just not sure. I hesitate to jump on this wagon for some reason. Maybe I'm being lazy -- I don't know. I just want them to be ready ---- but I also don't want to miss the window of time when they will be excited to please us with their cooperation!
We haven't yet introduced underpants ... and I know they aren't ready for night time training because they usually both wake up pretty wet.....but we are working on cutting out beverages close to bedtime.
Any suggestions??
Do my girls seem ready??
What am I waiting for??
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
Whoa...how awesome! It sure sounds like Ms. K is ready to me!
ReplyDeleteI danced around a bit with my Baby A...she was using the potty but still wearing a diaper for about a week (at 27 months old). On a Saturday [when Hubby was home and I'd have some kind of reinforcement for a couple of days], I got up and asked her if she wanted to wear panties. She was so excited! I explained what that meant...that she had to use the potty...and she was game. I had to keep a really close eye on her for a couple of weeks, asking if she needed to go, but she did great.
Baby B didn't train for a full six months after her sister. She just didn't show any interest, and she'd proudly declare that her sissy wore panties and she wore diapers! :) One day, she asked to sit on the potty and she went. I asked if she wanted to start wearing panties. She was so excited, too. She was older - 33 months - but after a couple of days I didn't have to remind her.
I could definitely bill it in different ways, but in my experience I think it was good for me to have only one training at a time. I was able to pay very close attention to that one for the time it took for us all to gain some confidence. And by the time B trained, I was comfortable telling A to wait her turn, that her sissy was using the potty.
Good luck! It may be a stressful week or so, but you'll get through it! :) :)
Sounds like they're ready to me. Good luck, I'm hoping that I'll have some magic sign like that between now and next week, when I have plans (heh, heh) to start official training. Ugh.
ReplyDelete