Tuesday, March 20, 2012

two and a half...!!!!!

Oh where oh where have my little girls gone ... oh where oh where could they be??

I've heard several parents mention -- the changes that take place between the age of 2 and 2.5 are monumental.

I could not agree more...my little girls are turning into big girls right before my eyes.

For my girls -- the biggest developmental changes have surfaced since Christmas. Their communication and understanding skills have really come a long, long way. This has served us all well -- for the most part.  We still have plenty of moments where they are not able to get their point across -- but we are seeing more and more improvements daily.

I feel like it was JUST last week when the girls turned 2. It's gone by with lightening speed. And -- now the idea that we are rounding 3 .. is just unbelievable.

Time to focus in on my beauties individually ---

Ms. K:

Disposition: I am learning more and more ... this little soul is a lot like her mama! I have always had pretty distinct emotional reactions to things (just ask the hubs!!).  Ms. K is following suit.  If things are going well ... she is just such a joy to be around.  She's sweet ... has great manners (please, thank you, bless you) and is quick to pick up on when someone is sad.  "You OK, mama" ... she will often ask.  And, she's genuinely concerned.  With the flip of a switch (and something not going her way) ... she's immediately upset -- irrationally emotional and hard to talk off the ledge (so to speak)!! She also knows how to push her sister's buttons.  You might think it would be the other way around, but Ms. K is really the button pusher around here.  She knows what bugs Ms. R and she goes for it when she wants to prove a point.  We are working on this big time!  Ms. K is also pretty good at playing up her injuries.  She has a harder time recovering from a stubbed toe or bump on the head and thinks she needs to wear a band aid for 2 weeks - even if the cut is healed. She often says she's "bonked" her head! Pretty funny!  Despite some colossal emotional meltdowns ... Ms. K is a breath of fresh air MOST of the time.  She pops out of bed ... happy to see me.  Just this morning when I walked in .... "Good Morning Mama".  Melt my heart.

Favorite food: Toss up between clementines and strawberries.  She's a FRUIT girl all the way and would prefer fruit over cookies, etc.  Yeah!

Favorite color: As of this morning -- she reports her favorite color is GREEN.

Favorite song/nursery rhyme: Itsy Bitsy Spider

Favorite Character: New development: Mickey Mouse (it's been BARNEY for 2 years!!)

Favorite Saying: Baby Ayla .. the way she says her new sister's name.... to die for.

Dislikes: Vegetables - any and all.  We're also struggling to get her to eat meat.  She prefers pasta and fruit.

Shoe size: 8

Sleep: Ms. K continues to need plenty of sleep and is a good sleeper.  She isn't always super happy to go to bed, but once tucked in -- she knows it's where she wants and needs to be.  She takes great afternoon naps and sleeps from about 9pm-7am each night.

Favorite memory: Ms. K kissing her new sister's head when she came home from the hospital.  She was the first to smooch her!

Ms. R:

Disposition: Ms. R has become a real daddy's girl these past few months.  It's been great.  They are a lot alike .... both on the go all the time! Ms. R loves to wrestle with daddy -- she'll often lie in the middle of the floor and beg for tickles.  Ms. R also has a pretty distinct personality right now.  She's happy most of the time .. "if" she's had enough rest (not easy for her), she's had a cup full of juice and she has plenty to do.  If she's bored....we're in trouble.  We've got to keep this little one busy.  She has her moments where she gets upset -- but she's not as much of an emotional roller coaster like her sister is.  She has reasons for getting upset (often provoked by her sister) or when she's being disciplined ... but doesn't seem to just lose control for no reason.  Ms. R seems a bit anxious when we're in new situations.  She isn't first to jump in and play with new kids .. rather holds back to observe, first.  She gets pretty upset when we have to leave her in the care of someone else ... the tears come quick.  She knows when she's in and out of her comfort zone.  Ms. R is quick to point out when Ms. K is being naughty.  "Ms. K bad" is what she'll say.  As cute as it is -- probably not something Ms. K appreciates.  Ms. R can generally let stuff roll a little easier than her sister.  If she falls down -- a simple smooch and she's on her way again.. and likely right back where she hurt herself in the first place! And - finally ... Ms. R has really become set in her ways when it comes to her wardrobe (ahem ... sounds like daddy).  She likes a simple pair of leggings and a long sleeve tee.  End of story.  I'm going to have some battle rounds in this department I have no doubt!!

Favorite food: Ms. R has a sweet tooth (like daddy) but she also really enjoys cheese!

Favorite color: Purple

Favorite song/nursery rhyme: Itsy Bitsy Spider (requested 100 times before bed)

Favorite character: Donald Duck - hands down!

Favorite saying: "Oh Toodles" .. from Micky Mouse Clubhouse (SO CUTE!!)

Dislikes: BEDTIME....oh the struggle!

Shoe size: 8

Sleep: Ms. R "continues" to try and convince us that she does not need to sleep - at all.  Fights it tooth and nail .... each and every day.  The hubs and I have talked about doing an experiment .. just letting her stay up til she collapses to see if she actually would.  We've pushed her bedtime back here and there .. and even nights she stayed up til 10 -- she still fights it.  She gets very upset when we initially put her down ... but a few minutes later she calms down and then just plays until she falls asleep.  I don't mind this -- I just wish she wouldn't get so upset.  It stresses me out.  She still sleeps about 2 hours in the afternoon ... once she finally settles down.  I often repeat "God give me strength" when I'm putting her down!

Favorite memory: This was from when the hubs was putting the girls to bed the other night .... He was rocking both of them in Ms. K's room.  Ms. K was all snuggled in and ready for sleep... Ms. R - not so much.  The hubs was singing to them -- when Ms. R (not wanting to settle) started softly whispering .... "Ms. K, Ms. K, Ms. K" over and over again.  She was trying to get Ms. K to get back into play mode.  It finally made Ms. K giggle and daddy too!! This is precisely why they don't share a room.

Areas for improvement (for both):

  • Eating more diverse foods -- namely VEGGIES!
  • Sharing ... they do pretty well most of the time, but always room to improve!
  • Channeling frustrations - they BOTH have a tendency to pull at their hair when they get really upset. 
  • Learning how to be gentle with baby sister
  • Listening .... mama knows best! ;)
  • Cooperation with getting dressed, putting on coats, shoes, etc.
  • Siting still at the dinner table -- ugh!
With all the changes coming for our family in the next few months -- I have no doubt their 3rd birthday will be here in no time.  There are so many days I wish I could hit the pause button and relish in all the wonders of this age with my twins.  Their evolving relationship in itself is so fun to watch.  And ... as I've found over and over throughout the past few years .... this re-cap is just what's going on "right now".... their dispositions have switched over and over again..... and I'm sure will keep evolving.  One thing I know for sure -- I likely won't ever completely figure them out. Keeps me on my toes!

One the the most lovable things about both of my girls is how they look out for each other.  If one of them gets a snack -- they ask for one for their sister.  I often see them trying to soothe each other when they are sad...bringing a special blanket or toy over to try and bring comfort.  So - as much as they can be rivals at times .. I see their is an even deeper love between them.  I am so thankful.

Caring for a newborn baby again has really brought back the memories of the girls as newborns ... good, back and....... otherwise!! I am in awe .... how far we've come from those days of constant feeding, changing and soothing.  It's help solidify that -- yes, it was INDEED challenging ... and if we made it through those days ... we're pretty well equip for challenges now and moving forward.  I've been fascinated watching the girls with their new sister ... and how they "mommy"her.  It's sweetness in it's purest form. 

I love you Ms. K & Ms. R -- forever and ever and ever! 



With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!


2 comments:

  1. Love this post, so fun to read! Soon, it'll be on to 3rd birthdays....EEEKK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds exactly like my H&S. All of it!!

    ReplyDelete