It's been quite a week around here.
For as much as I can be so frantic about strategically planning big transitions for my girls - things have gone a little differently with the long anticipated "potty training".
Truth be told - I wanted nothing to do with it - was avoiding it like the plague and even the mere mention of it practically had me in tears.
Dread would be an understatement and I just wanted to bury my head in the sand.
Perhaps it's because of all the horror stories.
Perhaps it's because I knew training two toddlers would certainly be more than twice the work.
Perhaps it's because we've already had so much transition this past year - I just didn't want to face anymore.
Perhaps it's because I am busy nursing Ms. A throughout the day and diapers are just easier.
Perhaps it's because it meant more independence for the girls - and as silly as it sounds ... I cling to their dependence.
Perhaps it's because we've had such traumatic sleep issues this summer and I felt this would only add to the already constant exhaustion.
With all that in mind - I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO.
We've had our sweet neighbor girl helping me out most mornings this summer and she would often ask when I was going to start training them.
She was always sincere with her questions - and I would basically just brush them under the carpet.
I'd told her at the beginning of the summer my plan was to train them while she was around to assist me.
She's a smart girl and full well knew - her return to high school is fast approaching.
So, this past week - she basically strong armed me into potty training.
She took the lead, actually brought over the beautifully wrapped "potty prizes" and away we went.
And, I think it was meant to be because it was like I didn't have time to totally collapse with worrying about how it would all go.
We were just suddenly doing it.
I had everything else stocked piled for the occasion -- endless pairs of little undies, pull-ups, Clorox wipes, and m&m's for rewards.
Day #1 was full of surprises.
Ms. K, who back in Seattle was the only one willing to sit on the potty chair and go tinkles (at times) was completely refusing to have anything to do with it.
Ms. R, who had only gone tinkles ONCE before and always refused to sit on the potty chair was responding like wildfire. She was very aware of the reward system and took to it almost immediately.
With day 1 complete we had Ms. R in full swing and Ms. K in full blown refusal.
The hubs had a little chat with Ms. K as he put her to bed that night and he assured me things would be different for her in the morning.
And, they were.
Day 2 brought more compliance from both of them - but way more chaos now that they were both vying for my time in the bathroom.
We trained them, initially, to go on the potty chairs because we felt it was only fair they have their own seat and especially in cases where they had to go at the same time.
But - two potty chairs, two toddlers and one mama smashed into a SMALL half-bath was proving to be extremely challenging.
There was lots of door slamming - pushing and shoving to wash hands and the big hoopla of dumping and flushing their tinkles had officially put me over the edge.
So, we've had to maneuver the logistics of our potty training set up over the past few days.
At one point we had both potties in the dining area, but that caused some issues with the "dumping the tinkles" process. I won't go into detail, but let's just say I've gone through 5 large tubs of Clorox wipes.
Yesterday morning - we made the executive decision to take OFF the bathroom door.
It was genius and made being in the bathroom much more doable.
I then decided to heck with the potty chairs - we were going to try the big potty.
I was pretty well DONE with the dumping and flushing business.
At first the girls were not interested.
But I upped the reward and they responded.
By days' end they had both gone on the big potty several times.
And - the biggest news of all ....... Ms. R, without even really telling us .... went #2 on the big potty.
To say we jumped for JOY - well that just doesn't cut it. We had a big family party!
What's proven to be really tough in this situation is when it comes time to reward one of them for awesome behavior and the other is sad because she is not being praised. And when I say sad - I often mean ... tantrum/disaster on the floor.
TOUGH to watch their feelings get bruised when they are not the one performing.
But -we've come a long way in five days ... and as much as I'm still holding my breath -- I think we are actually doing this. I think we can officially say we are potty training and having some success.
The accidents have surprisingly been very minimal. They mostly happen when the girls are totally submerged into something - like eating lunch. That takes concentration you know. :)
Overall they are showing us more and more everyday they need fewer reminders. It's crazy to me when I turn around and see one of them sitting on the potty without our assistance.
Of course they are wearing pull-ups for naps and nighttime, but just yesterday Ms. R (even with her pull-up on) was taking the initiative to go potty on the toilet - thus telling me her brain is making the connection more then ever now... even with a diaper on.
I know we still have a long, long way to go, but I have to say I'm so thankful to have been nudged into getting started. I needed that nudge.
And after a trying summer of much disruption and change - I needed it to go well.
My ladies have again surprised me and rewarded me by their willingness to hop on this fast moving potty train - even in the midst of their own mama kicking and screaming and wanting to run in the other direction.
So many important lessons to be learned from these little people.
I'll keep you posted on our progress.
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

Great news and progress. As hard as it is, it does get easier and once they are trained a lot easier and cleaner! Eventually!!
ReplyDeleteOh lady. I admire you. I'm at a stand still with mine.
ReplyDeletePlease know I'm sending you big, huge hugs...and lots of virtual DQ!!! I remember so clearly how EXHAUSTING -- physically, mentally, and emotionally -- those potty-training times were...and I did it one at a time!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat was so hard for me was that Baby A seemed to turn part of it (especially the dumping and flushing) into a big game. I wanted to reprimand her, but I didn't want to have any negativity associated with the potty. It was driving me INSANE!
Someone commented on my blog that "a child's job is to play". I have thought about that so many times since. It's SO not fun at times...but that's how kiddos explore and learn.
Like you, I experimented with the logistics of things quite a bit. This feels terrible to say, but I tried to take away things that made the potty experience seem like a game. Our girls LOVED to flush the potty...but if they only tinkled two drops (which they would want to do over and over and over in order to flush a lot of times), I'd say, 'Good job, but that's not enough to flush.' And I worried that Baby A was asking for potty in order to get one-on-one time with me, so I moved the potty closer to where B was [we still had baby gates up] so that wouldn't be a draw.
You will get through this!!! So glad to hear of your progress so far! And remember...you have to treat yourself, too!!!
Best of luck!!!