Monday, August 27, 2012

Hello Routine? Schedule? Are you out there..?

I have to admit I'm a sucker for the "back to school"season.

I've always been content with seeing summer winding down and fall ramping up.

Whether I was a student, an educator or now a parent -- the start of school just seems to bring balance and routine back into everyday life.

This summer we've been all over the board.

I worried it would be the case when we moved home - and truth be told... this time... many of my fears became realities.

Most of it had to do with routine - or lack thereof.

Most of it had to do with change - which as we all know... can be hard.

When we were in Seattle - even in the midst of having a new baby .. we were pretty routine with our day to day.

That all blew up when we returned home - and for the most part I was OK with it ... knowing we'd eventually find our way back.

That routine is fast approaching.

The hustle and bustle of back to school is actually happening for us this year.

We've decided to enroll the twins in pre-school a few days/week.

We found a wonderful program and we are all really excited about it.

Last week we had "orientation" and the girls had a blast exploring their new classroom and meeting their teacher.. Ms. Alicia.

Tomorrow we have a little practice run when the girls will attend school for a short trial.

And, the following week they will start their new "school year" routine.

As with all decisions we've faced surrounding the girls - this was not an easy one, either.

Truth be told - 3 months ago I'd decided we would wait and start them in pre-school next fall when they will be almost four.

But things changed.  And it seems they need more social interaction.  They need more structure.  They need more educational stimulation beyond what I am able to give them at home, right now.

This will also provide me with more one on one time with their baby sister.  Time I crave as I watch her growing by leaps and bounds every single day.

When the twins were babies -- they were my whole world.  I look back on that stage and am so grateful I had the opportunity to be in those moments with them.

The time I will get to spend with Ms. A while the girls are at school will be so precious for me. And, I know it will help me be a better mama to all three of them.

I'm of course nervous and anxious about how it will all go - but I am also confident this is the right choice for our family right now.

I will keep you posted on the progress of our return to routine..... something we've thrived on as a family since the twins were born.

We're all creatures of habit -- and as nice as it is to step out of the schedule, stay in our jammies all day and eat jelly sandwiches for lunch 4 times/week -- it's time to get back to regularly scheduled programming around here!!

Please stay tuned!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!





1 comment:

  1. Best of luck to your girls (and you!) as they start preschool! Our girls are truly loving it...I hope your girls will, too. :)

    And I know you'll enjoy the time with Ms. A. Breathe it in!

    ReplyDelete