So last night on my beloved Facebook I read an article posted by a friend... she titled it "good reminder for moms".
Sounded right up my ally ... so I began to read.
The title alone intrigued me.
"She crawled".
I assumed it had something to do with a baby, but no - not at all.
It was about a mama of two battling terminal cancer.
Heart in throat.
Immediate tears.
I read on and finished the article finally understanding the title.
I wept... because it spoke to me as I had JUST put all three of my babies to bed.
Here's the article for you to read.
I hope you will.
She crawled
It just so happens... like every other mom (working or staying at home (working)... we are all exhausted after whatever our day entailed.
We are so tired - it almost feels like we might be sick.... throw up, pass out, collapse.
Sounds dramatic - but I'm actually not sugar coating it, this time.
It's what we signed up for, yes, but it doesn't take away from the mental and physical toll.
And then - we read an article like the one above and are jolted back into a world where we realize being a parent is a God-given gift.
We tell our girls every night that God brought them to us and we promised Him we would take care of them.
Their eyes light up.
They love to hear it.
So, last night as I was bathing all three of my girls - and as the article said... "they were ALL squirming and NOT cooperating".... my patience was thin. I was tired. I was longing for the day to be done.
We read books, said prayers and turned out the lights with three big, wet smooches.
I took my big deep breath as I do EVERY night - and headed for bed.
Of course -- checking in on Facebook one last time.
Which is when I stumbled upon the article.
Timing -- perfect timing.
I can imagine that mother putting every ounce of energy into those last nights of tucking her babies into bed.
We would do ANYTHING to get up those stairs.... to read one more book and say one more prayer.
Mothering is not easy and I'm certainly not one of those moms who reads an article like this and is suddenly jolted into perfection.
Not even close.
But I can tell you --- I will have the image of that mother on my mind as I struggle with wiggly babies who don't want to settle down for the night.
It's a gift -- this mothering gig..... and we are only given so many days to enjoy it, in this life.
I give thanks to that mother who crawled up the stairs to her babies.
She reminds me.... even if it's my last drop of energy... I must give them ALL I have.
Because we are not promised tomorrow.... but we have tonight for books and prayers and smooches and songs.... and yes, one more book......
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
No comments:
Post a Comment