Was it what I pictured?? Imagined?? Dreamt it would be?? Oh .... no ... it's so much more!!
We are in what I like to call "constant" mode in our house. The girls are in constant motion and need constant monitoring. They are so excited to explore and learn new things which is just as exciting for us, but we need to keep a close eye on them so they don't get hurt.
As many parents have said before ... when the house is "too" quiet.... there is definitely something up!! As much as the quiet can be music to my ears...I know I better get up and investigate!! I've found them knee deep in toilet paper, climbing the shelves in the pantry, "cleaning" out closets and even stripped down naked!!
They have both discovered the hilarity of taking off their own diaper. It was always so nice to be able to strip them down before dinner so bath and bedtime went more smoothly. And...it saved on some mealtime stains, too. Now -- I have to decide if it's worth the gamble of them taking off their own diaper. It seems like some days they forget about it -- while at other times the minute their clothes come off the go right for their diaper!
Verbally they are expressing themselves so much now. They both clearly have emotion in their speech. You can tell when they are really trying to get their point across. Ms. K loves to stand in her crib and point at Hank and attempt to say "sit". Ms. R's favorite word right now.... "Dooooooooooooo" (insert long O). It's basically her way of saying "Noooooooooooo" and she seems to say it quite a bit!! The hubs and I specifically ask her questions just so she will say it. For example...."Ms. R -- do you want to take a nap???" To which she immediately replies......"Doooooooooooooooooooooo". It's so dang cute. I am sure we may think better of this little game in short order, but for now we just crack up every time she says it. She definitely has a mind of her own. The girls are having more and more conversation with each other, too. They go back and forth and it's so fun to listen to. Sometimes they even talk to each other when they are in different rooms. I almost wonder if they are sending out warnings ... "watch out .. mom is in diaper changing mode and you're next"!!
We are doing pretty well in the mealtime department. Of course I am always looking for new food ideas. They will both pretty much try anything I give them. They don't always love it ... but they try it. And I try to continue to give it to them. I figure even if I get a few peas, etc. down their throat it's worth it. I'm finding that feeding two 1 year old babes can, at times, feel like a colossal waste of food. But - I just have to keep trying. They are developing eating habits and tastes as we speak and I think it's important to keep introducing them to a variety of foods. They are particularly fond of frozen blueberries! Who knew! Their purple stained faces are to die for!!
As I think of an area for "improvement" from this past month I guess I would highlight SLEEP!!! You would think we would have this down pat by now. And, we do have nights that are seamless where both babes fall asleep with little or no struggle and sleep til 6:30 or 7am. But - then we have "other" nights. And, specifically Ms. R has been struggling. She has to work harder to put herself to sleep at the start of the night and she seems to have what I would call an "unsettled" sleep pattern. Perhaps she doesn't ever fall into a deep sleep?? Either way .. she is up and down and up and down and it's very wearing on all of us. My prayer for her is that she will find that peaceful, restful sleep and soon! I want it for her more than anything because as we all know - when we lack sleep ... the crabbiness can set in. Ms. K sleeps pretty well ... but she's had a night or two lately that have been unsettled. She LOVES to sleep so when she goes without she is in tough shape.
Favorite toy of the month?? Hands down -- Mama's cell phone!! It's my "go-to" gimmick when all chaos is ensuing and I have 2 babes melting down. So....if you happen to get a phone call from me and you hear two babies in the background -- it's likely just one of our "moments" we are working through!!
So....as we gear up to celebrate THIS Christmas season I again find my mind wandering ahead....
What will the girls be like NEXT Christmas --- I think to myself???
Without doubt they will be MORE fun that my mind can imagine. They will be little ladies who will hopefully know more about CHRISTmas, how much Jesus loves them and why we celebrate this special season.
And..hopefully they will decide it's not all that great to eat toilet paper, tear off their diapers and climb on top of everything!!
But if there's ONE thing I've learned in the past year .... it's to "be" in the moment with our precious babies. It is not the easiest task day to day .... but I whole heartily try to remind myself of that as much as I can. When we were snowed in last week (for 4 days!!)....I actually woke up with a sense of calm. I can do this....I said to myself!! It's the Christmas season and there is so much to be thankful for.
Just as much as I try to cherish each day...I do give myself time to let my mind drift away to moments and memories ahead for all of us. We have so much to look forward to..... and I guess it's OK for a girl to dream!!
Here's to an amazing 15 months my sweet girls!!
May your beautiful, blueberry-stained mugs remain fresh in my mind forever.
Love you!!
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!




OMG, they are just beautiful!!!! What little princeses they are becoming. You are reminding me that it has been a while since I had the girls pictures done and they turn 20 months old in 10 days!!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteMaria- You really captured perfectly what it is like to have 2 15 month olds! You do an amazing job and I am so glad we met so we can go through the same things at the same time!! It is so nice to know that many of the things I deal with are the things you deal with and the fears and dreams you have are what I deal with too!
ReplyDeleteSo lucky we met!