Either way -- what I am finding about this age -- is the girls are in two modes -- TESTING (me) and EXPLORING (the world).
It's so delightful to watch them explore.....but with this comes their need to see how far they can push things -- and me. And....this is where "stay the course" comes to mind.
In the midst of complete exhaustion -- it seems easiest to give in. And, believe me -- I do this often enough. But I try with all my might -- to continue to show them boundaries so they know their limits. They deserve that. They often look at me BEFORE they "commit the crime" ... thus telling me they are slowing learning right from wrong. I guess that's a small victory, right??
Non the less -- in the midst of our major life transition -- I feel like the girls have done really well. What an age to be plucked out of their "normal" and start over with everything brand new. The hubs and I agree that we've definitely had a harder time adjusting to our new normal. The girls are handling things better than we ever expected.
At the ripe ole' age of 22 months -- the hubs put it perfectly -- sweet and sour. Sweet because we are watching our creations become little people ... and we are so proud of them for every little detail. Sour -- because as HARD as it is to parent two (almost 2 year olds).... time continues to move too quickly. We'd love to bottle up some of our favorite things about this age.
Because of the above mentioned ... brain dead state.... I think I will just write some sentences about what I want to remember about the girls at this age. Nothing fancy -- just things that we enjoy about them.
Ms. K:
* Your sweet voice....and the many words that come out of it...and giggles, too. You are starting to put a few words together....notably... "Hank, sit"....."Mama, up"..... "Bye bye puppies".
* I love how you immediately think of food when you get up. EAT is the one of the first words out of your mouth. You also love to say milk, cheese and snack. :) When you have a full tummy -- you are a happier babe.
* You are definitely a mama's girl right now. In fact -- you go into an all out shriek when you think I'm gone or will be leaving, soon. It's hard on me....but I know it's just something you are working through and it will pass....and then I will be sad it's gone.
* You are getting pretty physical with your sister these days. We knew this would happen -- and I'm trying to teach you that hitting, hair pulling and kicking are not acceptable. Ooooffftahhhhhhhhh.. this is a tall order for mama.
* You have a high pitched giggle that comes from deep inside you and it makes my whole day. When you are happy -- our house is happy. I hope you never stop giggling this way.
* You love to share your food with Hank. Sadly -- you don't yet understand that your portion goes away much faster when you share. Hank seems to be your BFF, though. :) I try to chalk it up to the idea that you are going to be great at sharing, one day.
* You are VERY concerned as to the whereabouts of your sister -- at all times. "Riah" rivals "Eat" for your first word in the morning -- and you seem almost panicked when you don't know where she is. It's sweet, actually. And -- you are always concerned with Ms. R getting what you get. If I give you a sippy cup...you immediately ask for one for Ms. R. It blows me away because Ms. R does not do this in return!! You are just more at ease when you know where she is -- not that you always want her right by you!!!
* My final thought -- you have recently become more snugly. This warms my heart so much because up until now -- we struggled to get you to cuddle with us. Lately, though, you are climbing up into my lap (and daddy's) and wanting to be there.....wanting to give smoochies. This has been such a bright spot for me.
Ms. R:
* I am so proud of how outgoing you have become recently. You have really broken away from being "mama's girl" and are seeming more comfortable in new environments and with new people. This past week -- we went to a little playgroup and I swear you did not know I was there. I marveled at what a "big girl" you have become .. and it gave me hope that maybe your sister will follow at some point. When I watched you sit up to the table, eat a snack, and then resume playing -- I just could not believe it. You did not need my reassurance at all.
* You love to buckle anything you can get your hands on ... booster chairs, stroller, daddy's backpack - you name it. You are determined to get the buckles buckled ... and you usually do. And then you are proud!
* You are very, very social when we take our daily walks. I LOVE to listen to your chitter chatter as we move along. You especially love people passing by with puppies. You wave to them ... and giggle with excitement. We get so many smiles!!
* You have been eating much better for mama. Granted your food preferences remain limited, but at least you are eating - and seeming to enjoy it.
* You continue to inhale any and all beverages that we give you. Water, milk, juice -- a full sippy is gone within a very short time. Your very wet diapers indicate this as well -- I change you at least twice as much as Ms. K -- and you wear "night diapers" much of the time!
* You are completely smitten with your daddy right now. If I even say "daddy" it changes your mood. And, if we go and pick him up from work -- the minute you see him you just fall over with excitement. Talk about warming his heart.
* We call you our little gymnast because you are jumping and twisting and climbing constantly!! You are very physically confident and you will not let fear stand in your way. We are excited to see how all this physical energy will serve you one day!
* And - finally .... I have had some very special time with you each day lately. You usually wake from your nap sometimes an hour prior to Ms. K -- and so we head upstairs ... pop in Barney and just snuggle. It takes you awhile to "wake up" and so I take advantage of this time with you. It brings a peace to my heart and it's our very special time.
Oh -- girls!! I could go on and on about you. It seems as though right now -- I am more exhausted than EVER before when you finally go down for a nap or bedtime. There are days when I don't think we'll will make it -- but then we do and I am grateful.
It's hard to imagine that I feel more tired now than when you were newborns -- and I'm sure that's not the case (those memories just fade). But -- I do draw from that time -- knowing that we ALL made it through -- gives me hope .... and reminds me that everyday will have both sunshine and clouds -- my goal is just to see the rainbow more often than not.
We'll end with a few short videos of you TOGETHER! I struggle to get pictures of you together because you are so very busy!
These are a few of my recent fav's -- because ... it shows your love for each other .. and at the end of (some very long) days -- that is all this mama wants - for you to love and care about each other.
T-minus TWO months until you turn TWO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm holding on for a FUN and bumpy ride!
Cuz I'm the mama!
So cute! I can't believe how much your girls are like mine. Ms K sounds just like my Little Pie and Ms R sounds just like my Little Bird. Hilarious! Glad they (and you) are adjusting well to new experience!
ReplyDelete