Friday, September 20, 2013

Four.

It's a short, seemingly little number, but it's had BIG meaning in our home this week.

The twins turned four.
For me, mama, it's pretty mind-blowing.  Hard to believe that when they were itty, bitty babies I honestly never thought we'd make it THIS far.

What did I think?

Heaven knows, but it seemed like forever and ever away.

I was so very wrong and I understand that more than ever, now.

The girls are VERY aware they are FOUR and that I wish they would stay babies forever.

They tell me daily... "I'm four"!!

What does four mean, exactly?

Well, despite a few "moods" and "attitudes" from time to time - four is pretty awesome.

It's filled with of AWE, to be exact.

The girls are just so interesting to talk to, be with, adventure with, and soak up.

Their minds are amazing and they have so many stories to tell - truths and make believe.

They remember so much.

They have BIG emotional swings as each day they continue to try and figure out life.

We had a very blessed birthday with them on Monday.

Started with lots of balloons as their four year old eyes popped open early that morning.
In keeping with tradition - we sang happy birthday then had cake for BREAKFAST. Big pieces of marble cake with milk.  It was delish and a fun way to start the day!

A cute side note: Ms. A was sitting up to the counter with the twins as we sang happy birthday.  It was clear she thought the song was for her.  She sat proud as a peacock with a big smile.  We all laughed and laughed!

Then - it was off to pre-school to share a few hours of birthday fun with their teachers and friends.  Always fun to be the birthday girls at school.

I picked them up before lunch and we headed to the MOA for a surprise trip to Nickelodeon Universe!

Much to their delight they rode the rides over and over again!

Ms. R's first time on the frog hopper.  Oh was she proud!
 Love the carousel (I think they rode this 4 times)!
 Big smiles for the camera!
Don't they suddenly look more grown up?

As I compare their picture from a year ago I've officially decided it's between age 3 and age 4 when the BABY really disappears.
We met up with daddy for a late lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.  It was fun because we'd often take the girls to that same restaurant when we lived in Seattle.

Afterward we walked hand in hand with them throughout the mall.  Stoping to buy a few special birthday gifts and just enjoy them.

After all the fun - we had to mosey along to our first bible class at church.  It just happened to fall on their birthday!

It was a very long day and they were quite tired at the end, but it's a day I will look back and cherish.

Their joy, excitement and pure innocence.  They legitimately knew this year what it meant to have a birthday and it made it so fun to celebrate.... and to tell every stranger they met!

While at bible school their teacher said something that struck me.... especially on that particular evening.

She said .... "I think 3,4 & 5 year olds are closer to God than anyone else".

At this age they are so pure of heart and very little has tainted their spirit.

They BELIEVE in the true goodness of people and as we age we seem to lose a little bit of that each year.

It resonated with me because that's exactly how I see my girls.

They are so genuinely in love with life and all it has to offer.

Big and small things excite them just the same - especially when we are doing things as a family.

That is all that matters to them.

I cling to their innocence and it's helps me see the world in a more pure light.

Their eyes dance at the idea of a trip to the park or Grandma's house or simply just story time with mommy or daddy.

The night before their birthday I tried to explain that four years prior I wasn't yet a mama.

We were excited to meet them and that on their birthday we became mommy & daddy.

THEY made me into the person God intended me to be and there is no greater joy in my life.

Four years later I could not be more thankful, proud, nostalgic and excited for their future.

These beautiful {little girls} are going to do amazing things with their lives ... I just know it and I could not be more proud to be their mom.
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

1 comment:

  1. You had such a wonderful day of celebration!

    I know just what you mean about the wonders of age four. I have to stop and pinch myself sometimes, just to remember how much FUN the girls are to be with right now. They are truly little "people" -- not babies (most of the time) -- and it's just amazing to me.

    So glad your sweet girls had a great birthday! Congratulations, Mama and Daddy, on four amazing years! :) :)

    ReplyDelete