So the hubs was in the operating room the other day (last Friday if I recall). He was caught up in there for a number of hours. Most of the morning, really.
Upon finishing his case -- he returned to his office where his cell phone reception is much better.
Cell phone reception in the OR is almost nonexistent...something that really kinda bugs me, but that's not the point!
If he gets a text while in the OR -- they likely don't go through until he's up on higher ground.
Anyway - when he checked his phone -- he noticed he'd missed a text from me so he began to read....
It said something like this...
"We're having our baby today. Water broke at 8am. Any advice for me doc?"
His heart literally lept from his body and his brain was going in a million directions.
We've discussed (at length) how I would contact him if I go into labor and he happens to be in the OR.
And - especially with this pregnancy being we are far away from family.
He was literally shocked.
Could NOT believe I didn't get in touch with him immediately.
Could not believe we were having our baby TODAY (or that day).
He glances back down at his phone to get ready to call me ... and THEN notices ... the text is actually from a friend of his from back home -- who was also expecting a baby.
His friends' text AND my text came through at the exact same time.
So -- he thought the message was from me and it was actually from his buddy.
Follow that??!?!?!
My text read something mundane and boring like .... "when will you be home?"
Ugh!
He could not believe it!!
His head and heart were ramped up to meet our baby!!
When he told me the story we just laughed and laughed -- a much needed laugh in fact.
I mean -- I do consider myself a pretty seasoned mama .. delivering twins and all ... but COME ON, honey -- I do not think I'd be so calm as to text him and then head to the hospital by myself and wait until he was done operating.
"Does that sound like your wife??" ... I asked him.
Uh ... no, it certainly does not!
Anyway -- his friend, Pete, welcomed a healthy baby boy that day .... and he was just texting the hubs as they anxiously awaited their first born.
And - yes ... we've since (again) discussed methods for contacting him when he's buried deep the operating room and it does not include sending casual text messages!!!
ps. I contemplated titling this post .. "We're having our baby today" ... but then worried I might send some family members into cardiac arrest......but you have to admit -- it would have been funny! ;)
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
Bwahahahaha!!!! I so love this one! I can relate, having a hubs who travels out of the country for work makes communication difficult as well. So so funny, can't wait to share this one with him!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's just hilarious! I can imagine the laughs you both (eventually!) got!!! :) One for the baby book, I'm sure!
ReplyDelete