Wednesday, February 01, 2012

"daddy fix"

It's so interesting how moms and dads have certain and somewhat different roles within the family.

We are noticing more and more our roles becoming more clear.

Of course -- there are certainly areas where the lines are more blurred, but at the same time -- it seems the girls have associated each of us with specific duties, as well.

As of late -- the girls consider daddy .. "Mr. Fix-it".

If something breaks ... even the smallest thing .... the first thing out of their mouth is .... "daddy fix".

If we are watching a video and it shuts off unexpectedly .... same thing ... "daddy fix".

If daddy is working on a project that requires tools -- the girls seem to think "daddy fix".

And ... most importantly ... when the girls trip and fall ... or get hurt in some way or another ... they often say ... "daddy fix"... almost as if they are starting to understand he can fix their bumps and bruises, too.

I suppose this is a result of a few things.

First -- if something does break that mama can't seem to fix ..... I've often said ... "well, daddy will have to fix it when he gets home from work".  This seems to hold them off, thankfully.

Second -- when daddy is home and something breaks .... I most certainly don't step up to do anything about it.  He does....... so they see him in this role, most often.

And -- over the past few months I've been explaining to the girls that daddy works at the hospital ... "fixing people". Ms. K is especially interested .... she'll often repeat over and over .... "daddy work, daddy work". At which time I try to explain what he's doing while at work..... "fixing" people.

It quite endearing to hear my sweet girls say ... "daddy fix".... and to see him in that role.  A role I'll glad hand over to him.  :)

I told him recently if his gig at the hospital falls through ... he won't have to look for work for too long.

As far as I can tell -- he's got a great career started as "Handy Daddy" 'round here.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! People likely wonder what my boys' fascination with airports and airplanes is and it's probably because I'm always telling them Daddy flew on a plane to XYZ, or Daddy's at the airport! By the way, I'm due May 2.

    ReplyDelete