Ms. K is the poster child right now for wanting to do everything for herself.
I've heard people say over the years ... age 3 is when it can get really tough with this stage.
Up until now - my girls have pretty much allowed me to dress them (although not always agreeing with my selection of clothing).
But the last few weeks Ms. K has been fiercely adamant that "she do it"... referring to getting dressed in the morning.
On days we are at home - I can muster all the patience in the world for this because I can see she is really trying to learn.
But - on preschool days ... it's a bit trickier maneuvering her desire to do things herself.
Just this morning -- when the other two girls were still snuggled in bed.... I tried to allow her to dress herself (we have school today).
This often leads to frustration because she's not quite proficient at it, yet.
This leads to meltdowns.... not a fun way to start her day.
She told me this morning to "go away" and "leave her alone" ... all the while struggling with her tasks of putting on her socks and pants.
While it's so hard to watch them struggle and hear those somewhat hurtful words from my sweet babe .. I brace myself for raising these three daughters.
I know it's going to be a very curvy roller coaster at times -- ups, downs, highs and lows.
And in the end - she is correct ... I want her to "do it". I want her to learn.
It's just me, mama, who needs to remember to let her learn ... to not take over in haste .. to be OK with being a few minutes late to preschool.
Ms. R has not jumped on this bandwagon nearly as much, yet -- I'm certain they are just giving their poor mama time to adjust.
Lord knows I need it.
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

these are the things we have to look forward to. :) Three girls, three phases, three of everything. Thank you Lord for a bountiful life of heartfelt lessons. In the end, we'll be wishing we could sit back and watch it all over again.
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely right my friend. I have to remind myself of that every single day. I will be wishing this all back when it's said and done. Soak it up, that's my mantra. Easier said than done most days. Hope you are well!
Delete