Monday, January 24, 2011

You are not alone!

For whatever reason .... today I've read several posts written by mama's who are strugglin' with something or other....

Whether it be the Monday blues or the winter blahs.....sick kiddos....kiddos who are transitioning through something difficult.....daddy's who are away working......lack of energy/motivation.....or just plain feeling overwhelmed by mommyhood...........

I wanted to send out the message that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!

There are so many of us moving through the exact same things....we are smack dab in the middle of some of the most trying moments.....ALL OF US....together.

It is so important for me, personally, to know I am not alone on this journey.  To know others have walked down the same path and survived.  To know I am in good company with women who aren't afraid to admit when life seems overwhelming.....and stressful....and exhausting.

And....thinking....if someone were to peek into our house right now -- they would see me, a mama of twin girls, struggling to get it all right ... all the time. 

It might not change the circumstances ... but for me -- knowing I am not alone always helps me keep going....improves my outlook...gives me more will to continue on.

Knowing that other women are also courageously walking through difficult situations --- helps me feel like I can do it, too.

Makes me feel like I am capable of being a good mom - even in the midst of feeling like I'm not doing such a great job.

And, what I feel is most important for ALL mom's feeling stressed or overwhelmed is, first, to recognize....

Then, try to step back.

Stepping back can mean so many things....common ordinary things we've all been told before, but often forget to do....

Stepping back means...

Walking to the mailbox and back...in the midst of a very trying day....

It can mean going into the bathroom and locking the door for 5 minutes...even with screaming babes behind you...

It can mean going to bed at 7pm because you just need that extra couple hours of sleep to help you through the next day....

It can mean putting laundry and cleaning on the back burner during naptime so you can read a book or catch up with a friend on the phone...

It can mean treating yourself to a yummy cup of coffee...

It can mean ordering a new pair of jeans online just because you deserve them and can't get to the mall...

It can mean planning a day "out" a month in advance so you have something special to look forward to...

It can mean asking a neighbor to come over for an hour so you can talk to someone other than babies...

It can mean asking family for help......even if you feel like that means you've caved and shown weakness....

Because the truth is -  it's exactly the opposite.

It actually shows you are trying to take care of yourself....so you can be the best mama you can possibly be.

And, sometimes it's nice to be reminded that it's OK to step back -- to take a time out -- and just be you  -- without your kiddos.

And, because...it means you are not alone - ever, ever, ever.  There is always someone going through a similar situation.

And sometimes.......knowing that - seems to make all the difference.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for that very uplifting message! You are so right about everything you said. It's so nice to know others have rough days too. Everybody suffers through trying times; and we all make it out alive! Now I'm trying to decide...new jeans or new shoes?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,
    I stumbled upon your blog through the Sellheim blog and have been checking in with you and your cutie patooties from time to time.
    This post was exactly what I needed to read today. I found myself crying and smiling while I read because you are exactly right. I am not alone and I need to step back from my role of mommy from time to time.
    Thank you for inadvertently posting exactly what I needed.
    Tonja

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true! Great post, thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the things I just love about the blogging community...that people are honest, and that people support each other. Everything is not rainbows and butterflies, all the time, and that's OK. I love knowing I'm not alone when I have those "down" days...and I love being able to share my joy on the other days. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. Its so true. Although I may not post my every day struggles I am definitely struggling from time to time.
    I'm terrified to have a second baby, then I try to stop myself from worrying and remind myself that people like you had two at one time and your doing fine and things will be ok.
    I just get nervous and worried about juggling two kids and a full time job (which I'm trying to work on changing the whole full time thing). Its hard.

    Your right though, its nice to know we aren't alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fabulous post!! So true in every way. It can mean so much just to step back like you said!!

    And yes, we are ALL going through one struggle or another and we will ALL get through it...with a little help from our friends!

    ReplyDelete