Saturday, February 05, 2011

Anyone know a good therapist?

SEEKING: therapist, who owns stock in distilled white vinegar...

Sounds strange, I know.

Here's a replay of a conversation that took place in our house yesterday.

Hubs: Hun, I'm gonna take the girls off your hands for an hour.

Me: Where are you going?

Hubs: Not sure....driving, maybe grab some lunch.

Me: OK. That sounds great.

Hubs: What are you going to do while we're gone?

Me: Wash the floor...

Hubs: WHAT??!??!?! Why? You JUST washed it yesterday!

Me: It's really dirty.

Hubs: You need help.  You seriously need help.  You are going to spend your free hour washing the floor, again?

Me: I can't stand it.  It is so dirty.

Hubs: Well, whatever floats your boat, babe.  But I think you're crazy.  Plain crazy.

The hubs and the girls leave and I proceed to wash the floor, again.

For those who know me (really) well -- they know I've battled this floor since THE DAY we moved into our house over 2 years ago.

"Back then" (when we built) it was just me and the hubs living here.  And, it was really hard to keep clean, even then.

I vividly recall during our first party (2 weeks after we moved in) running around behind people cleaning the floor - during the entire party.

Stupid, huh?

And -- it's gone down hill (rapidly) since then.

We added a puppy ... a very lively (indoor/OUTDOOR) puppy to our mix.

We added two babes ... who are now very mobile..dropping crumbs and what not all over the house.

I recall (vaguely) a few people (ahem....my mom, sister) saying perhaps this very dark wood floor might be a pain in the rear to clean.  It's a vague memory -- but it's there.  ;-)

But ... it's so beautiful I thought to myself.  It will be worth it!

Well - now, I'm not afraid to admit - THEY WERE RIGHT!!

In fact - they were beyond right.

Pain in the a** pretty much sums it up.

We have a dark cherry wood floor - that looks somewhat distressed by nature.  We picked that particular style because we knew we'd have things happen to the floor over the years (scratches, etc) and so we felt like it would blend in better.

The problem is .... the DIRT doesn't blend.

At all.

I literally clean the floor on my hands and knees (with water and vinegar) and within 10 minutes it already looks dirty again.

Pure frustration.

To the point that I feel like my entire house is dirty because the floor is dirty.

And, I don't want people to come over unless it's spotless.

Kinda tricky with the above mentioned husband, dog and TWO babes.

It's gotten so bad at times ... I've threatened the hubs -- saying he may come home from work one day to see the floor completely torn up and replaced by ANYTHING other than dark wood.  ANYTHING.

He tends to think I'm joking...

But I'm not.

I might just jump off that ledge one day...

Anyway....I guess my point is.....

I NEED HELP.

THERAPY.

AND SOMEONE WHO OWNS STOCK IN GOOD VINEGAR would be helpful...because I go through a big bottle each week.

Not kidding.

There.

I've admitted my problem.

I hear it's the first step to recovery.

Now who can help me????????????????????????????????????

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

2 comments:

  1. I can't help you with your floor, but know that you're not alone in the house cleaning crazies. I'm convinced it's because we've been stuck inside looking at it for months on end now! Yes, we've been to the Children's Museum before. Check out my Nov. 15, 2010 entry titled "MN Children's Museum." It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried a microfiber hardwood floor mop or a steam mop... i got a mircofiber mop for our wood floors (in our old house) and it seemed to do a fairly good job. And a neighbor swore by the steam mop for her wood floors. Just some ideas to get you off your knees! :)

    ReplyDelete