Saturday, February 19, 2011

Diaper changes = NIGHTMARE!!

In one of my recent posts..... I mentioned that the process of diapering the girls is extremely tough right now.  And, when I say "right now" ... I really mean -- like for the past 6 months ---- and getting worse!!

Saying the girls HATE to be changed (diapers and clothing) is an understatement.  What is a stronger word than hate??  I can't think of one -- but whatever it is --- that is how they feel about diapering.

It's awful!

I feel as though they put up the fight of their lives EVERY SINGLE TIME I change them.

It's exhausting - emotionally and physically.

Because ... it's like I have to gear myself up to even do it.  And...as you know....with two 17 month old babes -- we change clothes and diapers OFTEN!

I've done some reading online about this issue -- and it appears I am not alone.

Thank, God....because at times I really feel like my girls have some sort of crazy aversion to having their booties wiped!  Ugh!

Anyway..... online I've found other mom's sharing the same woes...but I haven't found a ton of suggestions or ideas to make things better.

One mom suggested using Pull-ups instead of regular diapers and I may just try that.  The girls are so strong that it is almost impossible to get the diapers strapped on at times. 

Recently we've really started to ask Ms. R to "help" with the changes.  She seems to like to be a part of the process (more with clothing changes), but the diapering is still a mess.......literally as you can imagine.

Ironically -- they act the absolute worst for ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Of course, right??

You can always show your true colors with your mom!

But - they fight daddy, too.  He's just obviously stronger so he can hold them tighter.

They don't seem to act as horrible for other people, though. 

For example....my parents. 

They got them ready for bed the other night and afterward ... described them as "angels"!

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I would NEVER use that word in reference to the girls' behavior in this department.

Never, ever, ever!!

So...I'm asking, BEGGING for any and all suggestions  -- OR -- just a "been there, done that" story with a wee bit of hope sprinkled in that this will end......

...... prior to, oh, say, ... Kindergarten??

PLEASE??????

Anybody??

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

5 comments:

  1. I saw your reference to this in your comment on my "sticker" post this morning, and I've been meaning to email you back all day. We have gone through a couple of rougher patches with our girls on the diaper table (but not with clothes - thank goodness). There were times when it was REALLY bad - maybe around 18 or 20 months - and then it got much better - and now we're in a very "squirmy / giggle-y" phase again. Grrr...

    What I found with our girls several months ago was to ask them to "help". Can you please hold this diaper for Mommy? Can you open it up? Can you hold this wipe? Can you wipe your hands while Mommy wipes your bottom? That at least distracted them while I got my work done down below. :)

    In any case, it seems like the girls could sense my frustration and would act worse when I got terse with them. The "help" approach helped me keep my cool, too.

    On the clothes note, I don't let my girls pick out what they're going to wear. Only within the last couple of weeks has Baby A started requesting one of the two shirts I have pulled. But...I know a lot of folks talk about their kiddos picking their clothes by this age. Could that help your situation? To offer your girls a choice between two shirts / pants / dresses...to get them involved in the process?

    As with so many things, I have to remind myself that whatever is driving me CRAZY is a phase...and this, too, shall pass. Hang in there, Mama!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know another twin mama who changes her girls on the floor (so they can't roll off) and literally has to sling one of her legs over them to hold them still! You are not alone! My particular struggle with the girls is to get them to give me a breather when I'm trying to cook dinner...they save that time to cling to my legs and SCREAM! My mom suggested a "super special" toy that they only get at that time....sorta works, haven't tried it too often yet, but maybe a super special toy or something that they only get when on the changing table??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandy gave a lot of the same tips I would have. I do a lot of the "help momma please" things and I usually ask the one being changed if they could could hold a wipe for me or lift their legs. I've asked them to wipe thier faces which seems to be working well lately for us. I have to tell myself it's just a phase daily too. As for the clothes, I pick out two shirts and let one girl choose the shirt and pick out 2 pants and let the other choose her pants. It works most of the time here. My girls are almost 2, but were born 3 months early so they act about 20 months. Hope you find something that helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep rattles by changing table to hand to my 18 month old when she starts fussing during changes. She normally doesn't play with rattles anymore, but they seem to work well for distracting her. I don't give to her until she starts protesting. The colors and noise usually interest her enough to give me a few seconds of peace to change her before she realizes what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will hand my boys one of their favorite toys while I'm changing diapers or sing a song to distract them...usually Itsy, bitsy , spider.
    I will sometimes have to straddle their legs to actually keep them from kicking so I can get their clothes on. Sometimes if I start giving them raspberries on their belly they will stop crying and start laughing. It kinda helps change the bad mood their in.
    Hope that helps a little.

    ReplyDelete