Yesterday the girls had another BIG birthday.
18 months old!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow.
Simply Wow!
Earlier this week we took the girls to the pediatrician for their 18 month well-child check! I'm always admittedly anxious about these appointments, but overall it went really well.
The girls were only subjected to one immunization .. and Ms. R had an added finger poke for a blood draw. She seems to drink 2 or 3 times the amount of water/juice that Ms. K does so we wanted to do a quick glucose check. The blood test came back A-OK so we were happy about that. Just a thirsty little bugger!
Time for our stats:
Ms. K:
Height: 33 inches (75-90%)
Weight: 26lbs 12 oz (75-90%)
Head Size: 47.5 (75-90%)
Ms. R
Height: 33 inches (75-90%)
Weight: 25 lbs 7 oz (50-75%)
Head Size: 47 (75%)
Overall...doing GREAT. Growing up and out!! The doc was very happy with our progress and we won't be going back until they are TWO.
It's been quite awhile since I blogged about our daily routine....so I thought this was the perfect time to do that. I am sure I will look back and wonder ... WHAT DID WE DO ALL DAY?? ;)
A day in the life of two 18 month old babes and one BUSY mama....!!!
6:30-7am: wake......of course sometimes it's earlier, other (rare) days -- it's later.
7-8am: Getting the sleepy out of our noggin's....this means drinking some milk, slowly make our way downstairs...turning on the morning news, kicking around a few toys and eating a few dry Cheerios.
8-9am: Time to get our serious "play" on....it's like rediscovering our same old toys like they are brand new each morning. I love this stage!
9:15 (ish): Breakfast time!! Breakfast consists of frozen blueberries (everyday!)...and either pancakes, waffles, Grandma P's banana bread, maybe some turkey sausage...and a banana. Breakfast is typically when the girls eat the most so we have a hearty meal!! :)
10am: Breakfast cleaned up and back to playtime. This used to be the girls naptime when they took 2 naps (I miss THOSE days!!).....so often I will pop in Barney and they kind of have quiet time for 30 minutes. This allows them to rest and get ready to play some more until lunch.
** A few times a week we have a scheduled outing in the morning. On Tuesdays we go to "Baby Storytime" at the local library. On Thursdays we take part in an Early Childhood Class. **
10:30am: Change of scenery! We usually go to the basement to play at this time. It's almost like the girls get bored upstairs and that is when the fussies come out. So - we mix it up. I put in some laundry and they play in their big indoor playground downstairs. Pretty crazy I know! ;)
11:30am: Back upstairs for a light lunch. The past month or so we've been eating lunch out of our highchairs. I am sure this is a big no, no -- BUT it actually really helps me. I give them (non-messy) foods and they sit in their princess chairs in the living room and munch away. They think it's kind of special and it's actually less mess for me.
Noon: Naptime! This could be a blog post in itself -- but naps range anywhere from an hour to three hours. Ms. K, my all-time awesome napper, has completely stopped taking those long and wonderful naps the last 2 weeks. She went from 3-3.5 hours to "maybe" 2 hours if I'm lucky. Ms. R naps 1-2 hours each day. You just never know with her. Some days she just doesn't need as much sleep. I really can't expect more than an hour each day. And -- if I get more .... I just do a little happy dance.
2pm: Up from naps and what to do???? We usually have a snack and play for about an hour. Then ... if we didn't have an outing in the morning (ECFE or story time) we usually head out for an an afternoon drive. This again ... changes the scenery. Sometimes we hit the car wash or gas station .. maybe Caribou...but sometimes we just drive! Might seem strange....but it's what I have found to get me through the long afternoons this winter.
** Usually at LEAST once/week I plan a "playdate" with a friend or neighbor. I have a few gals pals that I really enjoy getting together with. And -- right now it's still mostly for the mamas, but the kiddos are starting to interact more too, which is a bonus**
4pm: We are usually back home by 4 and the girls are ready to play for another hour after being in the car. I "attempt" to get some dinner going as they play. Usually easier said than done! I often have to prep dinner during naps if I'm going to make an actual meal. ;)
5:30pm: Dinner .... dinner consists of almost anything these days. Ms. K is really great about trying (and liking) almost everything we give her. But Ms. R isn't always so sure. Although - the other night we gave them salmon and Ms. R loved it and Ms. K wasn't interested. So - you just never know! Often if they eat well...we end with something sweet. Maybe a juice bar or a pudding pop to share. This is daddy's favorite part!
6pm: We usually strip the girls down to their diapers after dinner and either head up to the bathtub or just do some more playing. For whatever reason (pudding pop??) they often get what we call the "night crazies" at this hour where they start acting all goofy! They seem to have one last burst of energy and it's very fun to watch. We dance and play and just have fun! Bathtime has actually gotten better lately. They will get in the tub together now and things seem to go well until it's time to rinse their hair - which I think is typical for any child.
7pm: Time to start winding it down now.....if daddy is gone...I usually dim the lights in the living area...give them a sippy of milk and attempt to read to them. Or I might even turn on a cartoon so they just kind of start be still and quiet. I've started telling them ... 5 minutes til bedtime. I know they don't quite understand, but hopefully if I keep this up they will gradually start to get it. If daddy is home we each take a babe to their room, read one book and then kiss them goodnight. These are my favorite nights. When we are both home.
7:30pm: LIGHTS OUT!! As in "NIGH-NIGH"...as Ms. K says!!! Praise God and Hallelujah!! :) We made it through another successful day!
Both girls go to bed pretty well these days. We have nights where Ms. R just doesn't seem to settle right away or she'll fall asleep, but then wake up a few times for the next hour or so. For the most part, though, they go to sleep without issue if they are feeling well. If they are sick -- well that is an entirely different story!!
As you can see....we stay pretty BUSY!!! On the days we don't have a scheduled outing or a playdate I try and use those days to play "catch up" with laundry and cleaning. Fridays are good for that as I like to have a clean house going into the weekend. :)
The girls are also just "BUSY" in general. They are learning so much these days and it's such fun to be up close and personal in their world. Their vocab is really coming along -- between the two of them I'd say they have at least 20 words. Ms. K is really catching on to repeating what we say - or attempting to repeat. ;)
I feel like I stick to a pretty strict schedule (always have), but, in the end I think it's helpful for all of us to know what to expect. And, I hope it's helpful for others when they are here taking care of them.
I am having a hard time believing that in just six very short months these babes will be turning TWO. They really are turning into little toddlers more and more everyday. I am going to soak up these next 6 months of "babyhood" as much as I possibly can!!
Here are a few pics from this morning CELEBRATING St. Patty's Day!!
I ordered the shirts a tad big hoping we can get two years out of them! :)
HAPPY 18th month birthday to my beauties. BEST 18 months of mama's life!
And, Happy St. Patty's Day to all our readers!
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
Love the St. Paddy's shirts! So cute on the girls! Don't forget to celebrate the milestone of being a mom-of-multiples for 18 months! That's a big deal, too, and you deserve a special treat! Whether it's a night out with the hubs, the girls, a manicure, or just a good bar of dark chocolate (my personal fave!), don't forget to celebrate this accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fantastic appointment with the pediatrician...and I know we mamas always breathe a sigh of relief hearing from a professional that our babes are as "perfect" as we think they are! :)
ReplyDeleteAnd it was fun to read through your schedule. That's very similar to ours these days. Our girls go down for nap at 12:30, and I usually can keep them there until 2:30. Occasionally they'll wake early and fuss (although they are usually content to "talk" for a while). And very occasionally they sleep longer than that.
I long for the days of longer naps, but - as long as the girls are sleeping well at night and not getting too fussy throughout the day - I think 1 1/2 - 2 hours is probably OK.
Hope you're enjoying some more sunshine! And those tshirts are precious! :) :)
Happy 18 months girls. They have a busy schedule each day but it sounds like they get plenty of fun each day :)
ReplyDeleteI love these pictures of them, and also am glad to hear that their 18 month check up was good.
Wow do we have similiar schedules!! I hope you don't mind that I will have a very similar post in the next week. I have been thinking that I need to document what life is like for us at this stage!
ReplyDelete