I was walking along the paths and sidewalks --- breathing in the fresh air --- with a smile on my face. And, I couldn't help but let my brain rewind to last summer and how much we walked and talked.
I LOVED my walks with the girls last summer and have loooooooooooooonged for their return all winter.
Yesterday was the first time I felt ready to pack them up and head out.
I'll admit I was nervous about how it would go.
Would they remember our walks??
Would they fuss and HATE the stroller?
I prepared sippy cups and snack bowls before we left home.
But -- I didn't reveal the goods right out of the gate.
I waited.....and waited ... for them to fuss.
Which -- to my surprise wasn't until about 10 minutes from home (of an hour + walk).
I was one happy mama!
And when they started to fuss I "snacked them up" and we finished our walk.
I just love my time on the pavement with the girls. Even if they do fuss here and there.... it gives me a moment to breathe and think.
We didn't skip a beat today -- remembered just where to go and even battled UP the BIGest hill in the hood.
When we started out I wasn't sure I'd tackle the hill on our first time out----but as we moved along I threw caution to the wind and said ... why not??
Such a risk taker, huh?? ;)
I'm sure my legs will remind me soon enough, but it will be a good sore....being these babes are quite a bit heavier than they were last fall.
I think I'm pushing almost 60 pounds of baby around.
Wow!
I absolutely can not wait for our daily walks to resume .... and we're getting closer.....the weather dudes are saying 50's by the weekend and they better not be kiddin' this mama!
Here's a photo from today ... sorry for the bad quality....
And of course to compare .. a photo from our first stroller ride LAST spring. Oh how we've grown!
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!
We live in an area where it doesn't usually stay terribly cold the entire winter, so we've been able to get out here and there. We're still not back to consistent walks, but I was just wondering yesterday...do the girls get anything out of our walks (aside from fresh air, which does everyone good!)?
ReplyDeleteI told them we were going on a walk, and they started talking about what we'd see. They named puppy doggies, kitty cats, squirrels, birds, cars, trucks, and airplanes. I talk to them the entire time we're walking, and point out all the sights. I was amazed to stop and realize how much they remember from one walk to the next...who has a wreath on their door, where the Snoopy flag is, who has a puppy dog...and they even know 6 or 8 of our neighbors' names.
I sometimes feel a tiny bit guilty about strapping them in for an hour-long ride, thinking it's pretty passive for them. At least at this stage, though, having that conversation with them yesterday assured me they're getting a lot out of our walks...and I know I am! :)
Hurray for warmer weather...I hope it's here to stay SOON!
By the way, we have that same stroller...don't ya love it?!
Oh mama, I know exactly how you feel. I have been waiting for the weather to warm up too. We used take walks every day last summer. It feels so good to be out and about and the fresh air is amazing. Our walks are usually 30-45 minutes. The previous poster (MandyE) mentioned naming everything outside, maybe I should start that this year. Your stroller is great, I should have gotten the runner strollers because with mine every uneven side walk is a big deal.
ReplyDeleteHappy walking, mama!
Umeda
Hello from MyLifeInFewLines.blogspot.com!
You will love your walks even more on a cool Seattle breeze with the sun shining oh so bright!!
ReplyDelete