Friday, April 01, 2011

Proud.

Today is a BIG day for our little family.

TODAY marks the hubs FIRST day of his LAST rotation as a surgical resident.
TODAY is the start of a three month countdown...

A countdown that has really been going on for almost 5 years.

When the hubs started residency .... we were "engaged" to be married.

We had a cute apartment --- no babes, no pooch.

We were young and in love --  facing a long journey ahead.
We were married near the end of his first year of residency.
And shortly after our wedded bliss - year two began.

Year two can be summed up into one word - SLEEPLESS.

Second year surgery residents don't sleep. They are expected to be able to handle days upon days and nights on end with NO sleep. 

And -- also stay married. 

At the end of year two - it was MISSION accomplished in both areas.

Year three brought about 1% more sleep, but --- we also decided to build a house and run a marathon.

No biggie -- after all ... he was getting more sleep.

So, in his spare time -- he led the way in planning our new digs, wired our WHOLE house and trained for a marathon.

At the end of year three -- we had a beautiful new home and had crossed the finish line at Grandma's marathon - mission accomplished.

Year FOUR --- goes down as the BEST year of surgical residency ... hands down.
Our baby girls were born in September.....in the midst of daddy working 100+ hours/week.....

Only now - his heart ached to be HOME with his babies.

But he marched on.......and knew being away meant feeling a void that couldn't be filled by anything -- and -- leaving a wife that was doing her damnedest, but struggling as a new mama of twins.

At the end of year FOUR -- our babies were 10 months old -- happy and HEALTHY.

Mission accomplished.

And so began year FIVE.  CHIEF surgical resident.  The top dog.  The big cheese and still that endless 100+ hours/week.

As we entered into our last year -- we took a deep breath, promised each other that we would make it --- and said all extra time we had would be spent tending to our "family". 

No marathon running or home building ..... just TIME together whenever possible.

And here we are just three SHORT months from the surgical residency "finish line".

Still married ... still taking care of our babies and still deeply in love.

Mission ACCOMPLISHED.

Daddy held up his end so well --- always rushing home.....rarely a minute to himself -- to be with us as much as humanly possible.

He slept very little, but always came home with a HUGE smile on his face.

"Hi girls"...........he would squeal as he walked through that door....absolutely dead tired....but NEVER complaining -- EVER!

Tears stream down my face as I write this because "PROUD" doesn't even come close to explaining how I feel about this man.

He is the REAL DEAL.

Husband, Father, Provider and Healer.

You see -- the Hubs survived a near-fatal illness when he was 17 -- and shortly after he tells me he made a promise to himself.

Because he was given a second chance at LIFE.....he was determined to spend the rest of his -- giving back and helping others.

The Hubs is the EPITOMY of an amazing surgeon.

Yes - he is very skilled with his HANDS, but the skill does not stop there.

He enters every situation -- EVERY ONE -- with huge heart.

The lives he has impacted are countless. 

The hearts he has healed --- immeasurable.

I recall -- a few nights prior to the start of residency the hubs and I read a book titled "Becoming a Surgeon". 

Within the first few pages -- it stated, clearly, that a very high percentage of marriages FAIL during surgical residency.

I can't recall the percentage exactly - but it was HIGH and I was afraid.

But --- because my hubs is who HE is ...... his FAITH in himself, in me and in our family never waivered. 

Don't misunderstand -- there were REALLY hard times along the way.

But -- he was always confident and cheering for US.

That is what got us to this finish line.

When the girls are old enough to sit down and read about their father's residency journey....I know they will look at him with profound respect and gratitude.

And....they will know - FOR SURE - that if you put your mind, heart and soul (and maybe hands!!) into something -- NOTHING will stand in your way of success.

And...they will know -- as their parents ... we fought like hell to overcome some pretty unbeatable odds.

And that in the end -- we did it ALL for them.
With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

7 comments:

  1. That was beautiful. What an amazing husband you have! I wish you all the best! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is amazing!! sounds like you have an amazing husband :) so glad he and you and your family are almost at the finish line :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful!!! I hope you get a little more time with hubs in the near future...you all deserve that time together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw from a comment you left on another blog that you had twins and I had to come check out your blog. I have twin boys and love checking out other bloggers with twins, especially if they're older than my boys so I can see what I have to look forward to. Your girls are so cute! I can't wait to start reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, what an amazing story. You two are both truely inspirational! Glad I found your blog - looking forward to following along as you continue down this beautiful road

    ReplyDelete