Wednesday, April 21, 2010

He had me at "woof"...

A little more than a year ago we adopted our first "baby" boy.  His name is Hank Williams and he changed me forever.  When I married the hubs I knew a hunting dog would be part of our family makeup, but I must admit I was hesitant, nervous, skeptical, ..... okay down right unsure of how a pup would fit in with our busy lives.  I knew I would be the one taking care of him most of the time and I wasn't sure I knew how to raise a puppy!

When we went to "pick" Hank from a litter of pups I was about 4 months pregnant with the girls.  I can blame it on raging hormone levels, but as soon as this pup came home with us I was smitten!! My family, friends (and hubby) thought I was down right nuts because I WOULD NOT leave him alone if I didn't have to.  I can vividly recall the very first day I had to leave him alone for the entire day while I was at work.  I literally cried half way there.  And, throughout the entire day the sadness in my heart did not lessen.  I am not sure I could even eat lunch!  I talked about him ALL day and raced home after work to see him.  My co-workers can attest I was not a very good worker bee that day.  The thought of him home alone was more than I could handle.  When I finally got to leave work for the day I was like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.  I could not wait to get back to him to reassure him that he had not been abandoned.  This went on for several days  weeks months and literally everyone around me thought I had cracked right up!

Now ... one year after Mr. Hank entered (and changed) my life I know it was one of the best things that could have happened to me.  I thought his timing was a little off, but in the end he had perfect timing, I believe. 

When learning I was pregnant (and with twins) fear and doubt came over me.  Would I be a good Mom? Could I be all that my babies needed me to be?  Would I be able to handle it all??  All of these questions and more raced through my head constantly.  But - when Hank arrived my love for "this dog" was immediate and constant.  Don't get me wrong - he was and still can be a very naughty pup.  But - when my love didn't waiver during those difficult times I began to see that I would have enough love for my babies.  And, that maybe Hank was heaven sent to help me see that I had it in me....that I could be a Mom!!

I can not imagine our life without Hank.  He is my steadfast companion, my sounding board, my friend.  And, the hubs often says "I stole his hunting dog from him".  I have to admit - I kinda did.  Hank loves the hubs, but if we were going to head to head - he'd be in my corner ... I have no doubt. 

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment