Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fro-YO fun!!

Last summer when we arrived in Seattle -- we discovered "Menchies" frozen yogurt shop just up the hill from our home.

I guess I shouldn't say "just" up the hill - it's quite a butt-busting walk, but distance-wise .. not too far.

We didn't have anything like this back at home - so I was excited to check it out.

I recall the first time we took the girls.  I personally love ALL things ice cream, but was curious how it would appeal to their palate.

We kept them safe in the stroller - and the hubs and I built yogurt sundaes for us all to share.

It's a "build your own" type of system at Menchies and the toppings are literally endless.

Those first few visits last summer - the girls didn't seem super interested in the treat (much to my dismay!).

They would have a few bites, but then quickly grow tired of the "experience". 

I am certain it had something to do with them being confined to the stroller.

But as the year progressed -- so did their taste buds for this yummy treat.

At some point - we decided to let them out of the stroller to sit at the table like big girls.

The mess was pretty easy to contain so we continued on this way because they really seem to enjoy it sitting up to the table with us.

And, then -- again -- somewhere along the line ... they decided they wanted a cup of their very own.

Big surprise, huh?

Now days - (with Ms. A along as well) -- when we arrive at the yogurt shop ... all the ladies (myself included) sit down at a table.

Daddy quickly assembles sundaes for the twins.... while they wait patiently.  And, I have to say -- they wait pretty patiently. :)

Daddy enjoys creating a tasty treat for them which usually includes vanilla yogurt, several kinds of berries or other fruits, perhaps a gummy bear or two and then a squirt of yummy whipped cream!

YUMMO!

Last night -- was quite literally our "last night" visiting our yogurt shop here in Seattle.

Apparently while we've been away from MN -- similar frozen yogurt shops have been popping up all over so perhaps we'll get to indulge here and there when we return, but the Seattle Menchies will always hold a special place in our heart (and tummies!!).

Here's a few pics -- our big girls enjoying their big cup of FRO-YO!

The calorie burn before the treat!
Here's the "waiting patiently" part!
 Daddy's tasty creation!
 The first (and best) bite!
 Total concentration!
During Ms. A's first experiences at Menchies she was so itty-bitty she hardly even knew what she was missing.  In recent trips, however-- she's much more alert and has been wondering what all the fuss is about?!?!
We know -- it won't be long before that little tongue gets a lick all of her own!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

1 comment:

  1. We have a similar fro-yo place here, and we love it!!! We went through a very similar evolution...first, the girls in their stroller, and then at the table, and now eating from their own cups.

    The yogurt shop was the first place I took them by myself for a snack. I was very worried about "leaving them" at the table (within clear sight, of course), while I fixed our yogurt. Knock on wood, they've always been golden, though. Maybe it's the thought of "if I misbehave, I may not get my goodies!" HA!

    On a related topic, I have a Dairy Queen story for ya...we go to the yogurt shop about once a week, but we haven't been to the DQ in months and months. The girls think it's a HUGE treat, so I've kinda kept it that way in their minds. That was where we took B when she finally used the potty. Lately, it's been the [elusive] reward for going underwater at swim lessons (yet to happen). ;)

    Wednesday was supposed to be our last swim lesson. Unfortunately the coach had to cancel when we got to the pool, and the girls were disappointed. I told them we could go to the DQ (because I'm just not sure they're going to "earn" that treat with their swim performance). I forgot that they used to split a kiddie cup of ice cream, and I ordered them each one. I can only attribute all that sugar to their **challenging** behavior yesterday afternoon. Those $.59 cups of ice cream WERE NOT WORTH IT!!! HA!

    Hope you enjoyed your last trip to Menchie's...what great memories I know you'll have! :)

    ReplyDelete