Monday, June 04, 2012

Ms. K and mama time

The girls were in need of summer PJ's... STAT.

It's not like it's hot around here, but living in a 4 level town home with very few windows ... causes our pad to feel steamy and sticky, lately.

Especially in Ms. R's room -- her thermostat reads well into the 70's each morning and she's been removing her jammies during the night.

So yesterday morning I decided I'd take one of the girls shopping to pick out new jammies.  

Earlier in the week - I took Ms. R (by herself) to see the pediatrician... leaving Ms. K and Ms. A home with a sitter.

Since then -- Ms. K has been ASKING to go to the doctor.  She clearly understood that Ms. R got to do something {alone} with mama.  

So - it seemed the obvious choice I take Ms. K this time - even though it was going to be more fun than a trip to the doctor -- it seemed like it was her turn.

I asked her if she wanted to go shopping with mama? 

She BEAMED and headed straight for her shoes.

So cute.

I had a few things to do before we left ... and so she waited patiently.

We kind of snuck out so Ms. R would feel badly, but apparently she quickly caught on that we were gone.

Nothing a lollipop from dad couldn't cure. :)

Upon arriving at the store - Ms. K seemed so grown up to me.  She followed directions ... held my hand... rode the escalator with ease and helped me picked out the new jammies.  We had several to choose from and she wanted the "butterflies".  
To most parents of (almost) 3 year olds -- this may not seem like a big deal.  But - for parents of multiples .. who rarely go anywhere without the whole crew - it is pretty special to have quality time with one child.

I can probably count on one hand (or maybe two) the number of times the hubs and I have been one on one with the kiddos.

And so - shopping trips, for example are typically done without ANY children because it's just easier than having two  - or now THREE - little helpers.

We browsed around for some other things before checking out.  

Ms. K reluctantly gave up the jammies to the clerk so I could make the purchase.  Again - she doesn't fully understand this concept because she just hasn't had this experience all that often.
Thankfully she handed them over without a fit - and we were on our way....once she had the shopping bag in her little hands. :)

We'd promised Ms. R a trip to the park on our return -- but we had a few more moments to spare.

So I treated Ms. K to a cookie.

Another rare treat - a whole cookie ... no sharing with her sister.. but to be fair-- we did bring a cookie home for Ms. R and daddy.
I was really impressed with how nicely she sat up to the table.  Although -- she seemed a little lost without that "sister" at times...
After our fun outing -- we picked up daddy, Ms. R and baby and headed to the park.  Ms. K was quite protective of her shopping bag.  She even brought it out onto the playground for safe keeping.  :)

After their nap -- Ms. K repeated to me a few times ... "I go shopping, mama". 

Pure sweetness.... and a reminder -- we most definitely need to carve out these individual outings -- even if it's just a quick trip to the store or a visit to the doctor -- it seems to mean the world to the girls... and helps me to FOCUS on them as individuals.

I think it's much needed time -- when things don't feel so rushed, crazy and out of control... and we can just enjoy being together.  

Special memories. 

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!



4 comments:

  1. Such a fun time!! It is amazing how well they do alone! I love it! Addie even went to an hour plus hair appointment a month or so ago and was sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've done this twice lately. Last weekend, Baby A came to the store with me for a few items. It was amazing to have her there by herself...she was such a good helper! Whereas when I have both girls, she's usually the one trying to ram the grocery cart into me! ;)

    And then I took B for a couple of errands this weekend, and we also got some yogurt together. Usually the girls wait for me at a table while I fix all cups for everyone. B said, "I'll wait nicely while you get the yogurt, right, Mommy?" I told her she could come with me, and she was so excited! She held her cup, and I even let her get a little bit of a topping. She acted like such a big kid! ;)

    You're so right...it doesn't have to be a big production...even a trip to the doctor can be special one-on-one time. I hope we can do more little things here and there, especially now since the girls are a bit older and Daddy can handle them (a little bit) better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this more often too! Although, whenever they are separated, they tend to start asking for each other. But it's such a good and fun experience to get to focus entirely on one child for a time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this for the first (!) time a few weeks ago. When my girls were reunited they were so happy to see each other and talk about what they did. It was also special for me and the hubs to get individual time with the girls too.

    ReplyDelete