Friday, June 15, 2012

Glances

My mom is often known to say .. "This too shall pass".... when we are going through something difficult.

Have to admit - she's usually right.

She would say she picked the quote up from her mother, which knowing my grandmother is probably true.

My mom likes to read uplifting stories -- day by day books that offer words of wisdom, prayer and a pick me up each morning.  It's part of her routine.

In these books she finds quotes and sayings - and she passes them along to me.

Each time she visits - she often (without me knowing) tapes a few new quotes around my house.  Once she's gone home - I notice them.

Throughout this year away from home - she's also sent me these uplifting quotes in the mail.  The hubs and I would look forward to reading them.  It was always like a little treasure within her card -- and we'd wonder what words of wisdom Gramma P. was passing along this time.

As we are packing up to move back home (yeah!) -- I've come across countless quotes taped throughout the house.  I would often tape them up after she mailed them to us... as I knew she wanted me to do.

It's amazing as I find them -- how often I recall "glancing" up to read these -- day after day -- and how much they have truly helped me.

There are way too many to list, but I thought I'd share a few of my favorites with you.


"One of the very first things I figured out about life ... is that it's better to be a hopeful person than a cynical, grumpy one, because you have to live in the same world either way, and if you're hopeful, you will have more fun".
-Barbara Kingsolver

I loved this one because -- let's face it ... we all have days where it feels easier to be grumpy and upset with life - but ... it's not hurting anyone but ourselves.  This one was in my bathroom and it helped me every morning to try and put on a happy face.

"I definitely know that somebody is looking out for me, because I could never do this alone." 
-Taylor Swift - the darling singer/songwriter.  :)

This was great this year -- being away from home, with twin toddlers and pregnant (or with a new baby).  It was challenging at times.  But - I knew I was never alone.


"Naps are natures way of reminding you that life is nice, like a beautiful swinging hammock strung between birth and infinity." 
-Peggy Noonan

I loved reading this as my girls were fighting their naps.  Brought calm over me somehow.


"Having children - the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings -- is the biggest job anyone can embark on. You have to take a leap of faith and ask lots of people for their help and guidance.  I thank God every day for giving me the opportunity to parent." 
-Maria Shriver

THIS quote plays over and over in my head.  What an opportunity it is to be a mother.  What a gift.  And, many of the gifts are the people - namely my family - who so graciously help me through this journey without batting an eye.  They are just always there.

"Joy is the echo of God's life in us." 
-Columbia of Iona

My mom placed this quote front and center on my stove in the kitchen.  I glanced at it every single day - multiple times.  It helped me to choose JOY each day.

Reading these quotes everyday was helpful in so many ways.  They challenged me, reaffirmed me, encouraged me and supported me.

Simple words on paper -- glances when I needed to read them the most......

And as one day led to another and yet another -- our year is almost up and the quotes are coming down.   But ... they won't be leaving me ... many of them are ingrained in my mind and heart forever and truthfully one of the things I will remember most about getting through some of the challenging days this year.

Glances at these quotes ... sometimes first, second or third glances in a given day -- always gave me hope.

Thank you, Mom.


"Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps if you are not willing to move your feet."

My favorite.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment