Saturday, June 16, 2012

"A true family FIRST man"

As we know - I write this blog for my girls -- so they can look back and have an idea of what our life was like when they were just itty-bitty.

And - on the eve of Father's Day -- I wanted to document something that happened today -- something I wish they were able to hear with their own ears.

We were invited to a little "going away" party for daddy today.  We will set sail back home in about a week and so his time with his co-workers is coming to an end.  A very sweet lady (about 70 years young and nowhere NEAR retirement) wanted to host an afternoon lunch to celebrate a wonderful year with Dr. daddy.

We gussied up the girls in pretty summer dresses, made brownies and banana bread to share and set out for a fun afternoon.

Upon arrival -- everyone was waiting to help us get the girls out of the car. They rushed up to the van - offering to unbuckle the girls and everything.

It was beyond precious.

They had prepared beautiful, delicious food (a Mexican themed meal).

The twins sat quietly on the couch observing for the first 10 minutes as the gals introduced themselves and of course took turns holding a very smiley Ms. A.

The hostess was very prepared for the girls.  She quickly offered them apple juice, cheese quesadillas and strawberries. Clearly she took notes when the hubs mentioned a few of their favorites.

My heart was smiling as my girls quickly warmed up and starting entertaining everyone.  Before we knew it both girls were up and about, eating, socializing and truly enjoying themselves.

There weren't many toys -- but they were making their own fun and part of that was getting to know the new people around them.

After some time had passed -- I had a chance to visit quietly with the hostess.  Most everyone was outside eating -- and we had a few moments to talk.

I thanked her for being such a support for the hubs throughout the year.  She recalled fondly how the hubs would stop in her office (she's a nurse practitioner) and they would chat over a can of ginger ale almost daily.

And, then -- the part I so dearly wish the girls could have heard --- she looked at me with such sincerity and said --- she has NEVER, EVER met a more PROUD father or husband in her entire lifetime.


"He defines the word, father" -- she said to me.  


"He loves you and the girls so much and he is a true family "FIRST" man".

Wow.

It was heart stopping for me - because of course I feel this way.  But - for her to tell me this with such conviction was truly something I will never forget.

I know the hubs enjoys talking about his girls at work -- it helps him feel connected and close to us when he's away -- but this solidified for me ... it's not just talk -- it's his actions, too.

His co-workers noticed ... good, bad or otherwise ... he is always working hard to get the job done so he can come HOME.  He wants to be home -- he wants to be with us... more than he wants to be absolutely anywhere else.  He made that quite clear throughout the year as he never let work come before his family - ever.

As I listened to her tell me over and over what a treasure the hubs has been to work with .... I just sat there beaming.

It was such a gift to me -- and the girls for her to share those words with me.

Words I will hang on to forever..... even on the hard days when I wish his work schedule was less demanding.... I will know without doubt - his heart is at HOME.

We both returned to the party and soon the party goers started to dwindle.

Ms. K stood out in the kitchen with the hostess helping her make "to-go" plates for all of us.  And, as each guest left .. Ms. K would gleefully say ... "bye"... to each one.  It made me so proud.

And -- to my girls: when you are reading this years from now .... it's how I want you to feel.... PROUD..... because you have a daddy who loves you more than he ever knew was possible. And,  it's a love that has clearly left a permanent mark on people far and wide.... including a sweet lady from Seattle who wanted me to pass the message on to you.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment