Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chores.

Since the start of pre-school in September, the girls have learned some pretty awesome daily living skills.

Daily living learning is part of their everyday at school.

Just last week their school had an open house for the girls to showcase what they've been working on.

Interestingly enough - they both gravitated toward the daily living area of the room.

They watered plants.

Folded wash clothes.

Even made me a cup of hot (warm) cocoa.

It was priceless to watch.

I relayed to their teacher I have been very pleased, at home, to see them implement many of these skills.

They are much more obliging, as of late, when I ask them to remove their shoes, coats, etc as we enter the mudroom.

They have also been nearly 100% at turning off the bathroom lights as well as closing the bathroom door when they are finished.... as to keep the babe out of the toilet. ;)

It's been delightful to watch them hone their skills.

They are more than willing to pick up a cleaning rag and help me wipe things down around the house.

They love folding washcloths and dish towels.

I am hopeful this might continue - but I've decided to outline a "chore chart" of sorts to see how they respond to a {very small} reward upon completion of their daily tasks.

I am going to include the following 5 simple tasks :
*  Cooperate during morning routine (getting dressed, shoes, coat)
* Put PJ's into hamper before going down for breakfast.
* Help with toy pick up and keeping rooms clean.
* Remember (without coaxing) to remove shoes and coat in the mudroom.
* Lay out clothes for the morning before bed.

I'll review with them as we go through our day if they are meeting their goals.

I am sure it will ebb and flow as do most things with 3 year olds, but as they round the year... and inch closer to age 4 I think this will be good for them.

The girls are also very capable of doing the following:
* Wiping down fronts of cabinets
* Wiping down baseboards
* Putting trash into the wastebasket
* Putting (non breakable) bowls, cups into the sink
* Helping with Ayla when she is crying or sad
* Folding washcloths and towels
* Putting away laundry
* Cleaning up toys after a messy playdate

If and when they help me with these various chores I am going to try and remember to praise them as well.  They respond so well when I tell them how very thankful I am for their help.... and I truly am very thankful!

They are still motivated by the simplest of things.... stickers, staying up an extra 5 minutes, etc. This is the time to engrain some of these simple chores.  During the days when money doesn't mean a thing and the actual PRAISE is what counts more than anything.

How about you?? Do you have specific chores for the tykes in your life? Perhaps you have some additional ideas to share with me.

I am CEO when it comes to running our household.... and believe me I will take all the help I can get!!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

1 comment:

  1. Our girls do most of these things (except for the actual cleaning / wiping cabinets / baseboards). I don't really think about them as "chores", though...just what we have to do to live this life. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing...I haven't really thought much about it.

    The girls really love to help with laundry, and they do a pretty decent job of folding certain things. They're also good at putting away their laundry.

    At this age, it's like they just STRIVE to HELP. Any little task I can think to ask of them, "Can you run upstairs and bring another roll of toilet paper down?" is like the biggest treat! HA! And taking something to the recycle bin (just open the door to the garage) is something they'll fight over...so I try to recycle things in sets of 2's so they both have something to throw. ;)

    However we handle it, I know we're doing our kiddos a big service by involving them in things. I have a friend who teaches Kindergarten, and she says it's amazing how many kids can't put on their shoes / zip their jackets / wash their hands...IN KINDERGARTEN!

    ReplyDelete