Sunday, July 11, 2010

Question of the week - NAPS!!


I am so thankful for this "Question Of The Week" brought to us by Multiples and More! In fact - I submitted the question!!  So - thanks for posting it.  I REALLY look forward to reading about this subject.  The area I need the most help with is the "transition" from 2 naps to 1.  I have one babe who seems ready, while the other is not there at all.  Help!!?!! 

Onto the questions.  Hope I can help someone out there, too!

1.) How do you encourage healthy sleep habits in your children?
From day one we have worked hard to create routine and a solid schedule so they knew what to expect.  It worked pretty well, I think.  Our girls started sleeping through the night just before 5 months of age and have done so ever since.  It was a dream come true to say the least.  But - the key was to follow a routine.  When they were between 4 and 5 months old I did the EXACT same thing every night about 2 hours leading up to bedtime.  About half an hour prior to bedtime we would give them a soothing bath and it helped to calm them right before bed.  Now ... things have changed a bit because they do not fall asleep in our arms anymore.  We put them down awake and they fall asleep on their own.  Some nights it's pretty smooth -- other nights we have some tears.  But - they sleep form about 7pm until 5:30 or 6.

2.) When they were infants, how did you get your babies to sleep/nap at the same time?
Our babes slept (naps and bedtime) in their swings until about 4 months old.  It was a survival technique.  After that they have slept in the same room for naps and bedtime.  It always amazed us, but somehow even if one of them is throwing a complete fit - the other sleeps though it.  We have an occasional time when one of them wakes the other, but for the most part it isn't an issue for us.  I think it is because they have been together since the beginning and have learned to cope with those noises.  We didn't have them sleep in the SAME crib, just the same room.  I felt as though they would eventually need to be in their own cribs so I didn't want them to have yet another transition.

3.) If they wake up early from a nap, how did/do you handle that?
Well...first I cry.  Then, I compose myself and make a plan.  You see - I have one babe (Ms. R) who is not the best or most willing napper.  Ms. K on the other hand takes the most beautiful naps a mama could ask for.  So - that is quite frustrating, at times. When Ms. R wakes.... I usually go and grab her so Ms. K can continue sleeping.  Even if Ms. K sleeps another hour longer than Ms. R she is always ready for that afternoon nap.  She is just a good great sleeper.  It should be noted, however, that Ms. K sucks her thumb.  I really think this contributes to her great sleeping.  Ms. R doesn't suck her thumb or use a nook and so she doesn't have that automatic soother.  If Ms. R sleeps an hour per nap I feel that is a great day for her.  Ms. K would sleep 2.5+ in the morning and 1.5+ in the afternoon.  Ahhhhhhh.

4.) Do you have a minimum amount of time that you want your babies to sleep, or at least rest in their cribs for?
In  a dream world I'd love them both to nap for 2 hours in the morning and at least 1 hour in the afternoon. As I said - "dream world". 

5.) Napping transitions (this is a big one!): How did/do you handle the situation of going from two naps to one, when one child is ready and the other(s) were not?
As I mentioned above - this is where I am struggling BIG time right now.  I feel Ms. R (lousy napper) may be ready for 1 longer late morning/early afternoon nap.  But - Ms. K is definitely NOT ready.  I am working through a few new napping scenarios in my brain as we speak and may try implementing them soon.  I don't want to do this too soon, but when I hear Ms. R struggling to fall asleep for naps and nighttime - I know something is not right with her schedule.  This is where having two babies is really challenging. I am looking for advice on this specific topic so if anyone has had one babe who was ready to go to one nap, while the other still needed two - please send your advice my way! Please!! My husband and I are considering splitting the girls for their naps as well.  We have an extra crib that we've had on the main level, but could move into a spare room.  I often wonder if I am going to have to suck it up and have them on different schedules for a few months.  I don't know!! Part of me looks forward to the day when we have our mornings to run errands, go to the gym, or have play dates - and then - nap in the afternoon.  The other part of me worries Ms. R won't nap then either.  Fright!!

6.) f you have older multiples- how did the transition to toddler beds affect their sleep patterns? When did naps *gasp* come to an end?
We are still in our cribs, thank you God!  And, yes - GASP............ and completely lose my mind when naps come to an end!!  Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

I think I have spent at least part of every single day since the girls were born OBSESSING about their sleep.  I talk to everyone I know about it - even complete strangers.  Not kidding.  I think some people think I'm a bit nutty.  And, maybe I am.  But - I know first hand that when the babes get a good nap they are just happier and easier to be around.  It's pretty simple.  So - I will continue to stategize and welcome any and all advice people are willing to share!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

6 comments:

  1. Your R sounds like my A, and K sounds like my B. One in every crowd, huh? :) Your schedule also seems really similar to ours, putting your girls down at 7:00 (our bedtime is 7:30), and up at 5:30/6:00 (our girls start waking up about 6:00/6:30...I usually get them up at 6:45 after they "talk" a little bit).

    A couple of questions...do you let your girls "talk" in their cribs, or do you get them up as soon as they wake up? And when they wake up, are they content to "talk" for a while, or do they immediately start crying?

    Also, what time are you putting them down for their morning and afternoon naps? We went through a long period of time when I would wait for sleep cues before I put them down...it was usually around 9:30 in the mornings and 3:00-3:30 in the afternoons. And then something happened (maybe I read something? can't remember exactly) where I decided that I would be more controlling of when they went down. I started putting them down at 9:00 and 2:30 every day. I'm not sure I understand why, but I remember this made a really positive difference in how well they napped.

    I have taken pretty copious notes of our girls' schedules, so I'll be glad to share what worked for us...

    I'll answer this question on my blog, too, but it may take me a day or so to do it.

    I agree with you...sleep is SO IMPORTANT. Well-rested babies make for happier babies AND happier mommies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm nutty about sleep, and have been since about 3-4 months. Give me your schedule you have now, and let me see if I can help you out a bit. We had Alex who was ready, and Abby not so much when we switched. I'll do my best to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one that was ready and one that wasn't ready for one nap. I forced the issue. I made the one that wasn't ready join his brother in 1 nap days, but only once they hit about 15 months old. I picked a time in the middle of their morning nap, kept them up until then, and then put them down. After a few days of that time, I pushed it back half an hour (or 15 minutes if they were really tired) until I hit 1pm. Then I stopped and they were officially moved to one nap. It worked out great for us, and I'm sure you'll find something that works out great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, here's this I found.

    Guideline for Awake time for babies

    Newborn 50-60 mins
    1 month 60 mins-hour and 15
    2 months 1 hour and 15 - 20 mins
    3 months 1 hour and 20 - 30 mins
    4 months 1 hour and 45 - 2 hours
    5 months 2 hours - 2.25 hours
    Late 5 months/early 6 months 2.25-2.5 hours
    6.5 - 7 months 2.75-3 hours. Some are getting more.
    8 - 10 months 3 - 4 hours. Some are getting more.
    11 - 12 months 3.5 -4.5 hours. Some are getting more if moved early to 1 nap

    The only thing I can think of right now, is try and try to push one nap. They might be going to bed earlier for a bit (maybe 6-630) but you never know. If your for certain that she is ready for 1, but her sister is not, I would still let her sister catnap. I used to let Abby sleep for 30 minutes if she needed it while we were in transition. How did it go today?
    You know you could also try shortening the morning nap to just 1 hour, and moving the afternoon nap up from 3, to 1pm. So shorten the morning nap until you can cut it out, and then get one solid nap during the day....does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog. I love meeting moms with kids my son's age as well. Your girls are just adorable. I give you props. I'm exhausted just chasing one. I bet your girls are so much fun though.

    I am now a follower of yours as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart nap time :) I want to start a rehab for moms who kids don't nap anymore...wanna come?

    ReplyDelete