Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Somethin's cookin' by September...

I've a set a new goal for myself.

Anyone who knows me relatively well....knows....that I don't cook often.

I've had wonderful cooking role models over the years (mom, grandma, aunt, cousin, sister, friends)...

But, I have failed miserably to follow their shining example of how to get a meal on the table at dinnertime or anytime, really.

Why, you might ask??

I guess I could say I am an incompetent cook, but deep down I know that would be somewhat of a lie. 

I can cook and bake...when I CHOOSE to - or have the ingredients in my fridge/pantry.

But in all honestly that isn't very often at all.

Looking back, although not that uncommon, I didn't cook in college.  Don't ask me what I ate?? Mostly stuff my mom sent back with me. Or granola bars. Or cereal.

Then - after college....I moved into an apartment on my own.  So - same deal....felt no desire to cook for me, myself and I.

Went on to meet and marry the hubs (who is a fab cook, by the way) and STILL not much cookin' goin' on.  He works LONG and odd hours and so we never got into a routine of having dinner every night...or every few nights....or EVER for that matter! 

I think it's safe to say I have been lacking some serious cooking motivation.

So ... now I think I may have my motivation. 

I have two little mouths to feed who need and deserve healthy nourishment every single day. 

And, they are going to get it.

Here it is ... in front of God and everyone - my new goal...

By the time they are one (mid-September) my goal is to plan, grocery shop and COOK 4 meals per week.  Hoping to make 3 meals during the week and 1 on the weekend.  I feel as though if I cook 4 meals each week it will provide enough for all of us with leftovers for the days I don't cook. 

I don't feel my goal is too lofty and has room to grow.  I'm not trying to be Martha or Paula Deen.  I'm just wanting to feed my family - with healthy and yummy meals.

I would love to be one of "those moms" who can sit down weekly, plan out meals and grocery shop accordingly. I think it saves on wasted food and on buying unnecessary foods. 

As of now the girls are still quite content eating semi-pureed foods. But, by September I am sure they will be more interested in real food. 

This gives me time to get "ready" to reach my goal.

Because I have decided to stay home with my girls for another year - I am REALLY hoping I can find time and energy to fit cooking into my life.

I am going to try and find recipes that are tasty, healthy and kid friendly.  I would love for my girls to enjoy fruits, veggies and whole grains from the get go. 

We shall see!

If anyone has any great resources or wants to throw a recipe my way - I am open to it!!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

4 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK!!! Check out http://casualcuisine.blogspot.com/ and http://www.thesneakychef.com/blog/ and http://blog.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/ I also do a lot of searching on about.com. They have tons of recipes! You can just search "healthy recipes" (or whatever) and you'll get TONS of stuff! I'm SO excited for you! I love cooking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great goal. I need to follow in your footsteps. My problem was I never had a good role model to learn from so it is trial and errror for me and lack of time that I use for my excuses. Post some recipes if you find some good ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great goal, and one I hope you'll eventually come to enjoy. I used to love to cook and bake, and then my work life got really crazy for the five or so years before the girlies were born, and cooking was just a dreaded hassle.

    Since I've been home with the girls, though, I've really come to love being in the kitchen. Hubby and I don't go out to eat often, so I like to try to make things that are really yummy, at least once a week or so.

    When the girls started eating "big people food" at a year of age, I committed to trying to limit processed foods. I'm not all organic / fruit-of-the-earth, but the thought of cream of mushroom soup makes me cringe (although that was a staple in my learning-to-cook years!). :)

    The challenge for me now is to find recipes that I want to feed the girlies, that my hubby and I also like. My goal is for all of us to eat the same thing, which happens more and more these days.

    If you'll send me your email address, I'll be glad to forward you some of our tried-and-true recipes that we all enjoy. My email is mjemedi@hotmail.com.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started following your blog and was reading some of your posts to find out what you like to write about when I saw this post. I am a SAHM of a 2 1/2 yo and 17 mo. twins. The really easy meal suggestion that I have for you is Homemade Mac'n'Cheese. I use whatever cheese I have on hand in the refrigerator.
    So here it is and we always have leftovers though it isn't from lack of trying to eat the whole thing at dinner for my family.

    16 oz. Whole Wheat pasta cooked to al dente
    2 cups cubed cheese (you can use more if you like it more cheesy)
    1 egg beaten
    Milk

    Spray 9"x13" pan with cooking spray. Mix pasta cheese and egg in pan. Pour enough milk over everything to come halfway up the side of the pan. Place in a 350 degree oven and stir every 20 minutes. It is usually a good consistency after 1 hour in the oven.

    I usually serve peas or a vegi blend as a side.

    ReplyDelete