Monday, May 10, 2010

A little pat on my back!

Took a little leap of faith today when I decided to take the girls to see the pediatrician.  No appointment had been made, but the office we go to has "ready care", which you hope is "ready" when you get there.  I worried a tad that this may be a regretted decision, but I went against that fear and headed out.

As I've mentioned in recent posts - we've had some trying days lately and especially with Ms. R.  I've wondered for a few days if she "might" have an ear infection.  My mom and sis suggested it too and this morning I saw her pulling at her little left ear.  She took a less than desirable morning nap and seemed quite clingy again this morning.  So - with those things in mind I decided to take the girls in.

I've never taken them to the doctor by myself before.  I've either had my mom or the hubs along for those dreaded immunization appointments.  And - it takes both of us along with a few nurses to "get the job done".  The tears flow and it's no fun at all.  But, today, it was just me and I didn't want to let fear stand in my way in case one or both of them was sick.

The girls were actually quite pleasant up until the part where you have to strip them down to be weighed.  If we are being real -- who in their right mind would enjoy getting naked, put on a table and weighed in a chilly room??  That sounds dreadful to me and the girls thought so too!

Then the doc came in.  Not our regular pediatrician, but a nice middle-age man who seemed to have a gentle touch with the babes.  He started with Ms. R and she was pretty engaging until it came to the ears.  He took a look in the left and then the right ear and without hesitation he said ... "Yup, that left ear needs some help".  Sad to admit, but, a part of me was glad to know that something was up with her.  I didn't want her to have an ear infection, but she has been so irritable lately it was nice to know there was a source for some of that fussiness.  So - he wrote a perscription and Ms. R was all done!

Next up - Ms. K, who, as many of you know, would not enjoy a strange man anywhere near her.  She was quite sad throughout the whole process, but she made it.  And - no infection for her.  Not a huge surprise given she just finished an antibiotic from when she was hospitalized and I didn't really have any signs pointing to infection with her. 

So -- that brings me to my million dollar question for all Twin Moms.  When you take one baby in to the doctor do you have the other one checked out too??  It seems like it might be a good idea, but with co-pays and the poking and prodding it requires I am not so sure.  On the flip side I dread the idea of going back tomorrow or the next day if I suspect something with Ms. K.  Any advice from Twin Mom readers???  This is a puzzler for me.

And so -- Ms. R is now on penicillin for 10 days.  Saying a prayer to the "anti-allergy" Gods that she isn't allergic to that medicine given that both mommy and daddy have raging allergies to penicillin.  She had her first dose tonight and so far, so good.

Going to bed early tonight.  The girls are both fast asleep and I need to play a little catch-up in that department. 

Hope you all had a nice start to your week!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the ear infection. :( Those are not good! We tend to get those a lot at our house, but at least antibiotics clear them up quickly! Good for you for taking up the challenge of bringing both girls in by yourself. I have to do that too (when they aren't well check visits) and it's tough! We were just in last week with E and she was diagnosed with an ear infection. Since S was with me too, the doc just checked her out (technically only E was to be seen). She was all clear, but the next day S came down with the ear infection. I was amazed at how fast it came up! It doesn't hurt to have the "other twin" checked out when you are in there, but sometimes it just doesn't matter! So, you can only do your best, which you're doing! Hope everyone gets lots of rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. The only time we've taken one to the doctor's besides the standard well baby-visits the other stayed home but if you have both there might save you a trip a day or so later.

    ReplyDelete