Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Good Samaritan(s) to my rescue

Reader WARNING: Long drawn out post below - but all details seemed necessary!

Proper definition of "Good Samaritan": a person who voluntarily offers help or sympathy in times of trouble.

During lunch on Memorial Day mama was eatin' a yummy grilled burger cooked up special by daddy.  I don't eat many burgers, but I will eat daddy's yummy ranch burgers.  Anyway...long about my 4th bite I felt a "crunch".  It certainly wasn't a crunch you expect to feel while chewing on a burger.  Nope - it wasn't a potato chip nor a carrot or a pickle...........it was mama's tooth.  Broken and painful.  Oh no!

Let's just say the broken tooth pretty much distracted me for the rest of the day.  I spent the majority of the time thinking about how in the world I was going to get this fixed (IMMEDIATELY) because I couldn't stand it for one.more.minute. 

Being a mama of twins is beyond a blessing, but it does provide it's limitations, at times.  It's a wee bit more difficult to load both ladies up and head out -  to the dentist for example.  In fact it's down right nerve wracking to say the least.  I was thinking, at best, I would be able to make an appointment for later in the week when Grandma J could come and stay with the girls.  Because, taking them along while I spent at least an hour getting my tooth fixed - well, not much of a viable option.  At least I didn't think so.

When I made the call to the dental office I was immediately blown away by the kindness of the receptionist.  Keep in mind this was a clinic I had never visited before.  This gal didn't know me from anyone else.  Upon explanation of my tooth issues she offered me the noon appointment.  The "dramatic" mama in me then came out and launched into the whole story about how I couldn't possibly do that because I have 8 month old "mobile" twins. And, I would have to find a time when someone could come and stay with them.  Without skipping a beat she hushed me and said the office staff would be more than happy to help me with the girls when I came in at noon.  She said she totally understood my predicament and that they had enough people to help entertain the girls throughout my appointment.  What?!?!?!??!  This was truly amazing.  People are amazing and kind and thoughtful and giving.  I was over the moon grateful.

I scurried around getting bottles and toys and everything else I could think of ready to take to the appointment.  I scooped up the girls from their nap, changed diapers, and buckled them safely into their car seats.  We were all ready to go!  Until......the.truck.wouldn't.start.  DEAD as a doornail.  As in no juice.  Nothing. 

Mama is taking several deep breaths at this point.  What to do??  Call daddy.....ring, ring, ring, NO ANSWER!  What to do??  Call daddy again.....ring, ring, ring, NO ANSWER!!!!!!!!  What to do????  Cry??!!??!  No....not an option.  What to do??  Run down the street and find a utility worker and ask for a jump?? Yes!! God idea, mama!  The utility worker was MORE than willing to help me (after listening to my frantic story.....um, dentist....twins, i'm late......broken tooth, ouch....um..TWINS in the truck!!!), but he didn't have any jumper cables.  Argh.  And, where were OUR cables?? Or ..... the battery jumper that my dad gave me for these exact situations?  WHO KNOWS?? I sure didn't know in that frantic state.  Turns out they were in the back of the truck, but seriously - who would look there??  So....I ran to our new neighbors home and rang the doorbell.  She came quickly and again after my frantic story (um....dentist, broken tooth...........LATE....twins in the truck) she scurried over to help me.  We pushed the truck out of the garage...jumped it....and off we went!!  Whew!! We arrived at the dental office, the ladies were amazing with the girls, the dentist fixed my tooth and all was well!!  :-) BIG SMILES from a mama with a new tooth!!

This crazy series of events has shown me again that people are so good and giving.  It was the day of the "Good Samaritan" crossing my path not once, not twice, but three times.  It leaves me feeling very thankful for people who are willing to lend a hand to someone in need.  It wasn't an obligation and they may or may not have even had time to help me, but they did without hesitation.

Lesson to my girls:  I hope one day you read this post and are fully aware of the story of the "Good Samaritan".  If you are -- your daddy and I will have done our job.  We want to raise you to be kind and loving and giving to those who are in need.  Your mama was in MAJOR need yesterday and several complete strangers came to my rescue.  They voluntarily helped me when I was in trouble.  I've spent time wondering how to thank these people.  Can I send them a card or flowers or perhaps even lunch to the ladies at the dental office?  I can certainly do all of that, but, there is something else I can also do.  And, it's actually a lesson I learned from Grandma Hazel long ago.  You see ... Grandma Hazel is so generous when people are in need.  Whether it be lending an ear or giving advice or even helping out financially when I've been in a pinch.  I always turn to her and ask, "but how will I ever repay you, Grandma"?

And ---- without hesitation....she always says in her very gentle way..."No need to pay me back honey.....just pay it forward - to someone else".  That way she knows she has taught me to be giving and kind to someone else in need.

What a priceless lesson to be learned.  Thank you, Grandma, for teaching me to pay it forward so I can teach that important lesson to my girls.  I promise I will not let you down.   

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

3 comments:

  1. found you through M&M!!! Your girls are precious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there from Multiples and more. Congrats on being featured. Your girls are cute. yes paying it forward is a wonderful lesson to learn and do. Have you seen the movie? A tear jerker but a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found your blog through Multiples & More. Your girls are so sweet!! Love this story, what a great reminder, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete