Friday, September 03, 2010

Day 13...just a fond memory...

I was fortunate this morning to have a minute to swing through Caribou.  My standard order....medium light roast with cream.......please!!

As I was driving away I was reminded of the day the hubs and I went to our local Caribou after our girls were born.  They were probably less than a couple of weeks old .... my mom was staying with us ... and she told us to ski-daddle for a little while. 

I packed up my pump, some thank you cards (did I ever send those??), and some other random reading material.

I really hadn't been out of the house, much, at that point.  Maybe a trip to Target, but that was about it.  Anyway...it felt very strange.  Strange to be out of the house WITHOUT my big belly.  Strange to be out WITHOUT the babies..  Just strange in general. 

It's one of those times when you are like....."I wonder if EVERYONE IN THIS CARIBOU KNOWS WE HAVE NEWBORN TWINS AT HOME????".  Hello....of course they don't!!  But you feel like shouting it from the rooftop!  "Hey.... we just had twins!!"  "Hey... we have TWO baby girls at home!!".

It just becomes your identity.  Because...before they were born everyone could see my LARGE tummy and knew we were expecting!!  And... we often told (even) random strangers -- it's TWINS!  Proud much?? Anyway...now...it wasn't "quite" so obvious.

For that short period of time (maybe 2 hours) the hubs and I just sat... talking.  I didn't write any thank-yous and he likely didn't get any reading done ... but that was OK. 

We talked about our babies....and how much we loved them.

It began to really dawn on me then - trips to Caribou (and many other places) wouldn't happening quite so frequently (like EVERY morning on my way to work) anymore. 

I also was realizing -- in the blink of an eye -- the hubs and I shared this new and amazing bond.  We were parents....very proud parents!!

And...we'd likely be talking about our babies in Caribou for the rest of our lives. 

This is such a happy memory for me.  Not only does it bring me smiles because I felt a tad "normal" in those 2 hours while chit chatting with the hubs over yummy coffee...

But, REALLY happy -  because it reminds me of some of the very first days when it REALLY began to sink in - I'm a mama .... like ... forever and ever.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

5 comments:

  1. I still feel the need to shout to the world that I have twins. Every time I see a proud mama out in public I want to talk to her about her experience with her little one and then talk about my twins, but usually I don't. I just have the conversation in my head. I feel like such a different person now that I have twins. Those moments out of the house always feel strange when I don't have the girls in tow. Very cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I remember what a surreal feeling it was to realize the enormity...I AM A MOM! :) And I also remember telling random people, "I just had twins!" I was still saying "just" when the girls were probably 5 or 6 months old. I finally had to break myself of the habit! :)

    It's getting close to your girlies' birthday! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My just turned six year old girls are sitting in their playroom, making a huge mess; I can see them through the French door, and I still, when I am without them (more often now that they are in school), stop and tell complete strangers that I have wonderful twins in first grade. It never stops. One more thing, I love your mom who sent you out for two hours, cherish her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember coming home after being on bed rest in the hospital for a week, then having my girls and having to leave them in the NICU. As we drove home I remember thinking everything looked so different! Spring had spring and leafless trees were now in full bloom. It was so surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I totally know how you feel! There was a time I went to lunch with my sisters and I took one with me because hubby didn't feel comfortable staying with both. At the restaurant, I really wanted to tell everyone that she has twin sister. Yes, a twin sister. :)

    *Hello from mylifeinfewlines.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete