Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 24...the hairdryer that saved me!

You might wonder just what in the world I am talking about now...

Well sit back and relax ... I have a little story for ya...

As I've mentioned...ahem.... several times before - our girls did not "sleep" in their cribs until they were at least 4 months old.  And, when I say "sleep" -- I am referring to naps and nighttime sleep. 

Nada - no sleepin' in the crib.

At first it was OK -- because we (and when I say "we" -- I mean me, hubs, grandparents, aunts,) took turns sleeping in the living room where the girls peacefully rocked back and forth as they slept.

But - long about 3 months into this we were ALL exhausted of sleeping on the couch.  Or - was it more like .. NOT sleeping very well on the couch.

Either way - we were all extremely tired.

As usual - I fretted and fretted over what to do to fix this issue.

How would I get them to sleep in their cribs?

How?

How?

How?

I would ask myself (and others) about a million times per day.

Well - one day - while I was "trying" to allow them to fall asleep in their room I decided to shower and dry my hair.  And....in keeping a close eye on them I dried my hair right outside their bedroom door.

When I was all done I turned off the dryer and I didn't hear ANY screaming or crying.

I nervously peeked in  ---- only to find two SLEEPING beauties!!!!!!!!!!!

What in the....

It was like a bell went off in my head....ding, ding, ding!!

I immediately ran downstairs and started googling "Hair Dryer White Noise".

And - thankfully, this is what I found!!

www.pediasleep.com

It's a website that sells CD's with a wide variety of "white noise" options. 

One of them was titled "hairdryer".

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was giddy with excitement. 

You have to remember - at this stage in the game - the sleep deprivation was making me absolutely CRAZY!

Any glimmer of hope was cause for celebration!

Over the next several days/nights we actually used a real hairdryer to help lull the girls to sleep.  We would put it on the cool setting, turn it on and leave the room. 

And - BAM - they fell asleep!!!!!! 

And - stayed asleep!!

I waited and waited (not so patiently) for that CD to arrive and ............ like 5 days later -- it finally did!!

From that day forward we have been using the noise to help the babes fall sleep.  It was like magic, really.  When we turn it on ... it's like their little brains know it's time to sleep.  And, thank God it worked for both of them!!  That is hard to come by when dealing with twinkies!

I guess what I am trying to say is - it saved me - as in saved my life - saved my sanity - saved EVERYTHING!!  I was finally starting to get some sleep.

I've since ordered another copy and directed many friends to the site.  If your baby likes the sound of a vacuum cleaner, clothes dryer, electric fan or thunderstorm - you are in luck.  And that is just to name a few!

Oh - and a bonus -- if you have an iphone .... they actually have a "white noise" app!!  OMG!! I use this while we are traveling in the car and again - they sleep almost every time!! Amazing!!

All mothers struggling with sleep MUST check out this site!!

I am not kidding - you will NOT regret it.

Sweet dreams!

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! :) Abby was a rough booger when she was a newborn. We had a few swings, but Alex was ready to move to her crib around 4 months also, but Abby was still giving us fits. We went out and bought this.

    http://theheartknows.gracobaby.com/sweetpeace.php?cid=myswtpredirect

    She loved it. They both did. And its has the most awesome noises. Rain storm, moms tummy, ect...they still have the base in their room that makes the noise, and sleep with the heartbeat sound on every night. I hope they never out grow it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have to laugh at how similar our situations are. My girls slept in their swings in the front room for the 1st few months also. We called that ground zero and it was exhausting. I didn't find that cool CD you did but I bought a Graco Sound machine that played white noise. One sound was like the womb and the girls took to it immediately. They have not slept a night without it to this day. We were saved after buying that beautiful little device

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a post about the hair dryer not to long ago. It's the best thing ever!!!! NOw we use that when we travel and when we are at home we have my iPOD full of white noise music. Love it! lol

    I have a giveaway on my blog. It ends tomorrow. YOu might like it for your twins!

    ReplyDelete