Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 28...My amazing TEAM!!

Today I am taking some time to reflect on the people who helped bring our precious babies into the world.  Somehow I was BLESSED to have my very own OB on call the day I delivered.  She had been with me from the start and was such a huge part of my successful pregnancy.  She is so kind and I just love her.  She has a very calming presence.  And, each week when I would visit her she always made me feel like I was super woman for carrying the twins for as long as I did.  She is just a gem of a person.

Anyway... I was SO!!!!! excited to find out she was on call when I went into labor.  She told me, however, that her call shift would end at noon the following day.  So .... if I hadn't delivered by that time someone new would have to take over for her.  It wasn't her choice ... it was just the way it was.  Having a hubby who also has to live by these rules at work ... I knew the predicament she was in.  Never before, though, had I been in the role of "patient" who needed their doctor to stay for them.  I'm usually in the role of "wife" who desperately wants her husband to come home.  So -- I prayed the babes would arrive before noon.  And, I prayed I would remember her genuine compassion the next time I was frustrated with my husband's work hours. 

Well....as luck would have it Baby A (Ms. K) arrived shortly before noon. But -- Baby B (Ms. R) had not made her earthly debut - yet!! And - in fact.....I had more laboring to do because when they checked me after delivering Ms. K -- I was dilated to a 7, not a 10 anymore. SO .... I had to labor for another hour(+) before it was time for Ms. R to arrive. Of course.....the clock was ticking and it was now past noon. But - my doctor did not leave me. She stayed and helped me through delivering Baby B -- even though she knew she was breaking the rules. She stayed -- even though she had a family waiting at home for her, too.

I wish I could explain to her what she means to me.  I wrote her a nice card a few weeks after the girls were born, but I don't feel like that was enough.  I have always wanted to thank her in a bigger way.  But, how??

Anyway....I hold her up on a very high pedestal.  I know she was doing her job, but she did it with such grace. 

Here she is pictured with my hubs.  She is the one in the middle (with glasses) admiring Ms. R who was less than an hour old at that time.  Doesn't she look so proud?? And ... she should be....she was a huge part of bringing the girls safely into our arms.  The other gal in the picture was my labor and delivery nurse.  Another awesome, awesome lady who helped me through some very painful moments!!! 


I find myself in tears remembering this amazing day.  It's special people like my doctor and delivery nurse (and the hubs, too!) who helped me bring our babies safely into this world.  Two miracles were born that day and I am so grateful for this team of people who put their arms around me and never let go.

With love,
Cuz I'm the mama!

2 comments:

  1. I also love my OB! She wasn't on call either, but still came to deliver my girls for me. Her and her partner. She was dressed in her street clothes when I saw her. I started having contractions while the office was still open, so she was waiting for me before she did much else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic post. It remindes me of my OB. She had the day off but learned I was in labor and ran over to the hospital after church to go ahead and deliver me. I labored with the on call OB (who was very nice) but I was so glad that my OB could bring my girls into the world. How did we get so lucky to have such amazing doctors??? I don't think I thanked mine enough either. Hmmm...I better think of something.

    ReplyDelete